General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:14:04
Print Post

Phone line disconnections and reconnections

[link to this post]

On a couple of occasions over the past month I have had the landline just go dead on me (no dial tone), with a corresponding loss of ADSL.

Both times, after running an automated BT line test (either through 150 or through here), I was told a fault had been found, only for the line to spring back to life within seconds. A quick reboot of the modem-router and the ADSL came back too.

What's likely to be the cause of this?

And how is it resolved so quickly?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:17:37
Print Post

Re: Phone line disconnections and reconnections

[re: rick1999] [link to this post]

When you say a loss of ADSL, is that complete, or is there a connection running at a stupidly low speed, like under 100kbps?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:19:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It slowed to about 200kbps before crapping out altogether (as is Sod's Law, during a 500MB download... that a customer was waiting for).

At that point I noticed that the phone line had gone dead.

Last time it happened, I noticed the phone before the broadband, as I must have been out when it happened.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:33:35
Print Post

I've just had "no dial tone" on my non-BB line. As you did, I reported it online and it said a fault had been found at Exchange and that it would be fixed by late next Monday.

Within an hour or so the line was working again for outgoing calls smile but incoming calls are still being diverted to my other line, as I had requested, and the fault report still shows "Open".

They don't seem to offer any explanation of the fault. I wonder if they will when they finally come to close it.

BTW: I find BT's voice fault reporting & monitoring system excellent. I would never expect the same standard from my ISP who keep nagging me to put my line with them to save money. Hence I will always keep my lines with BT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Feb-13 17:11:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by rick1999:
It slowed to about 200kbps before crapping out altogether (as is Sod's Law, during a 500MB download... that a customer was waiting for).

At that point I noticed that the phone line had gone dead.

Last time it happened, I noticed the phone before the broadband, as I must have been out when it happened.
That coould very well be one wire of the pair is loose or corroded somewhere.

The phone needs both wires working. Broadband can work very crippled on one.

On the other hand, if the broadband also goes completely, but later, it sounds like both the wires but one a fraction worse than the other.

The master socket, (or any socket involved) isn't mounted on a damp wall is it, or damp coming in along the incoming phone line? Those are worth checking, though probably not the cause. It's usually external to the premises.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 17:36:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

The phone needs both wires working. Broadband can work very crippled on one.

On the other hand, if the broadband also goes completely, but later, it sounds like both the wires but one a fraction worse than the other.

The master socket, (or any socket involved) isn't mounted on a damp wall is it, or damp coming in along the incoming phone line? Those are worth checking, though probably not the cause. It's usually external to the premises.

It's very interesting that you say that, because a smell of damp has recently developed in the flat and we've been trying to work out why. It seems to come from under the floorboards in one corner of the room, although that's well away from where the phone line comes in. Could these things be connected, I now wonder...

But if the cause is shorting at our end, would running a line test be able to fix it almost instantly?

I've just tried a 17070 Quiet Line test, and if I strained I could occasionally hear some barely perceptible crackling. But nothing that you would notice at all during a normal conversation - or that you would even be able to hear if there was any background noise. Does that tell us anything..?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Feb-13 17:49:43
Print Post

Line tests can mean more power going down a line which is enough to improve things for a while, e.g. letting the phone ring can sometimes have a similar effect when the issue is a joint problem or dampness at your end or water ingress anywhere along the line.

The testing from openreach can sometimes reveal the distance to a fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 18:20:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Line tests can mean more power going down a line which is enough to improve things for a while, e.g. letting the phone ring can sometimes have a similar effect when the issue is a joint problem or dampness at your end or water ingress anywhere along the line.

The testing from openreach can sometimes reveal the distance to a fault.

I've just had a look at the NTE5 box and it looks very old.

Just about to order FTTP - will they replace the copper bits while they're fitting that? I'm guessing that they won't, since the two are unrelated.
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 12:38:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

You were bang on the money with this.

NTE5 socket was all fine, but the old-fashioned GPO box is mounted next to a window which sometimes suffers condensation.

The terminals on the side of the box adjacent to the window had lots of corrosion - here's a photo.

Now all cleaned off and hopefully good for another 20 years...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Feb-13 13:44:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by rick1999:
What's likely to be the cause of this?
"Oh, these things just happen!" a BT spokeswoman announced today grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to