General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hewsos
(newbie) Thu 28-Feb-13 15:15:36
Print Post

Upgrading to fibre optic FTTC

[link to this post]

BT are offering me 71mbps, Sky only 40 mbps at a cheaper rate. I have just done a speed test on my neighbour's BT fibre optic broadband which would be the same as I would get and via their wireless router, Bt HH3, they are only getting 33mbps.

My question is this, if a wireless connection is going to lower the speed to such an extent is it worth paying more for the 71mbps? Would the wireless speed be the same despite the connection speed in to the router, ie if 71mbps drops to 33 mbps via the wireless router, would 40mbps also drop to 33mbps or even lower?

My TV would be wired to the the router with an ethernet cable, could I expect closer to the claimed 71mbps on this device?

Also, would a better wireless router improve this?

Many thanks in advance
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Feb-13 15:21:47
Print Post

Re: Upgrading to fibre optic FTTC

[re: Hewsos] [link to this post]

Geez, what are you running? Anything over 20mb is almost unnoticeable for anything normal (unless you download Tgbs of data all the time).

Nick
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Feb-13 15:36:33
Print Post

Ethernet should deliver the speed that reaches the router in the home, but wireless is heavily affected by things like walls and bodies.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk... gives you some idea how wireless speeds can vary

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 28-Feb-13 16:25:01
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Having more than one internet facing device (multiple computers, smart phones, SKY boxes, smart TVs etc can easily stretch the bandwidth of connections over 40Mb/s

The number of internet users is the key - two kids will use any unlimited supply!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Feb-13 16:30:36
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Yeah, but take streaming TV. HDTV is about 3500mbs. Games maybe less. 6 people watching iPlayer on 6 TV sets? still only about 25mbs.

And remember, browsing the web, or checking e-mail etc. on anything over, say, 5mbs is limited by the remote site speed/load - not your connection.

I dunno, but to me the difference between 71/41 is unnoticeable in any situation unless you are Amazon or something having 1000's of customers a second.

Nick

Edited by Lethe (Thu 28-Feb-13 16:37:56)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Mar-13 10:39:45
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
I dunno, but to me the difference between 71/41 is unnoticeable in any situation unless you are Amazon or something having 1000's of customers a second.
LOL. Amuses me the clamour for bandwidth several time greater than a company would have for a few hundred person office.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Mar-13 11:37:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hewsos:
BT are offering me 71mbps, Sky only 40 mbps at a cheaper rate.

Sky have a PRO product which you can ask for which will give the same as BT.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Mar-13 22:16:29
Print Post

Are you sure they aren't on Infinity 1, which is capped at 40Mbps connection, approx 38Mbps throughput?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to