General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhoneyTony
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 15:21:11
Print Post

Confused About Speed Estimates

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm currently with BE Unlimited and with the wind blowing and fingers crossed I consistently get about 8-10 Mb download rates. Now, with the news about the SKY takeover, I'm sounding out alternative ISPs but seem to be getting some odd speed estimates from their sites. PlusNet's checker returns 3 Mb with max of 6 and ADSL24 states 2.5-7.5 with their Premium LLU offering.

Now as my exchange is enabled for WBC and C&W LLU provision, shouldn't these be at least showing caps of 16 Mb, even with the estimate being off? Any help much obliged!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Mar-13 15:59:43
Print Post

Re: Confused About Speed Estimates

[re: PhoneyTony] [link to this post]

The line estimates are based on a database lookup rather than an actual test at the time you usied their website.

Thus for ADSL2+ based services it can be any figure from 0.25 Mbps to the maximum advertised speed, which varies slightly for each ISP now but is generally 13 to 19 Mbps.

If you are getting 8 to 10 Mbps now, and holding a 6dB noise margin even when dark, you should get similar off the other services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Mar-13 16:16:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhoneyTony:
Now as my exchange is enabled for WBC and C&W LLU provision, shouldn't these be at least showing caps of 16 Mb, even with the estimate being off? Any help much obliged!

I normally get an estimate of 8Mbps for WBC or LLU on my ADSL2+ 37dB attenuation line, but currently sync at over 13Mbps on partial LLU. So I always check for upstream sync speeds also, just to verify that the product availability is actually ADSL2+ and not ADSL MAX.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhoneyTony
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 16:38:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, it was Plusnet's checker specifically stating the possible range was 2-6 Mbps outright, rather than the potential estimate, that threw me, as I assumed it wasn't recognising their ADSL2+ product as available for my line. Good to have some human confirmation to the contrary, thanks again and all best!
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Mar-13 16:50:29
Print Post

I found the BBC iPlayer speed test thingy returns pretty good 'real' term speed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

Nick
Standard User PhoneyTony
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 17:11:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lethe:
I found the BBC iPlayer speed test thingy returns pretty good 'real' term speed:

Nick

Thanks, that gives what I expect for this line but I should be clear it was potential speeds that other ISPs were stating I would be getting should I move to them that I wasn't sure about.

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I normally get an estimate of 8Mbps for WBC or LLU on my ADSL2+ 37dB attenuation line, but currently sync at over 13Mbps on partial LLU. So I always check for upstream sync speeds also, just to verify that the product availability is actually ADSL2+ and not ADSL MAX.

Good idea thanks, ADSL24 estimate states 1.4 Mbps upload for my line so I assume that will is their +2 product. Plusnet doesn't actually give you upstream estimate so still a bit non-plussed there.

ADSL24 do seem to be the most BE-like alternative in terms of pricing and traffic management anyway so hopefully got lifeboat there if I'm forced to jump ship.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Mar-13 17:17:06
Print Post

Nick

Thanks, that gives what I expect for this line but I should be clear it was potential speeds that other ISPs were stating I would be getting should I move to them that I wasn't sure about.

Sorry, didn't explain. If you have a connection at a certain speed now, then change of provider shouldn't really change it. The wires do not get changed...

Nick
Standard User PhoneyTony
(newbie) Sat 02-Mar-13 17:41:53
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Sorry, didn't explain. If you have a connection at a certain speed now, then change of provider shouldn't really change it. The wires do not get changed...

Nick

Ah right sorry, good to know! I was assuming there was some kind of fundamental difference between plusnet providing ADSL+2 via WBC as compared to BE via O2 LLU but if bottom line is I should get same speeds regardless then that's ideal. Much obliged for the clarification.

Edited by PhoneyTony (Sat 02-Mar-13 17:43:51)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Mar-13 17:57:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:

Good idea thanks, ADSL24 estimate states 1.4 Mbps upload for my line so I assume that will is their +2 product. Plusnet doesn't actually give you upstream estimate so still a bit non-plussed there.

If the product is LLU based then you can be certain that it will be ADSL2+, if however it's WBC then ADSL2+ may not be a certainty even if the exchange is 21CN enabled. I know of one case where Tesco are providing BB only, which appears to be ADSL MAX, even where the exchange is LLU'd (inc. C&W LLU) and 21CN WBC enabled.

For WBC ADSL2+ availability I would call the ISP and check - however sales staff may not know the difference between ADSL MAX and ADSL2+, so to verify I always ask what upload speeds I might expect, if the number quoted is in excess of 448Kbps then the product is probably ADSL2+.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Mar-13 19:21:15
Print Post

I was assuming there was some kind of fundamental difference between plusnet providing ADSL+2 via WBC as compared to BE via O2 LLU
Gerally ADSL2+ is much the same however it is provided. The principal differentiator, other than the quality of your line itself, is how low the ISP is prepared allow you Target NM to go on your line. Many BTW ISPs, like BT, PN & EE, allow it at 3 db, while some LLU ISPs might only allow it to go to 6 or 7 dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to