General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ncf355
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:09:29
Print Post

"Starred" wiring on Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I recently had a 2nd BT line installed and 2nd ADSL connection added to this.

When BT installed the line they placed the master socket in an office upstairs (home), taking this from the original master socket for the 1st line that is in a cupboard beneath stairs.

When installing, the BT engineer commented that the original socket output had the ADSL wires starred to every socket in the house (a lot!) and that this was probably degrading the quality of my signal.

This seems to be born out by the fact the new ADSL connection on the 2nd line (same ISP) is achieving around 1.5MB better DL synch.

Is this "starred" set up something I'm likely to sort DIY - I'm just wary of messing up the connection to the neew line that was installed so wonder if anyone could offer advice on what to look for?

Thanks for your time
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:17:52
Print Post

Re: "Starred" wiring on Master Socket

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

In first instance if you have a faceplate which can be removed to reveal a test socket, the modem stats from before and after should show if the wiring is having an effect.

If it is first step would be to lift the wires that are connected to the pin 3 on the removeable part of the faceplate e.g.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ncf355
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:32:47
Print Post

Re: "Starred" wiring on Master Socket

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew

At work at the mo but will try as soon as I get home

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to