General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mkay
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 17:02:52
Print Post

Bit confused...

[link to this post]

Hello all
Can anyone answer this question. According to the SamKnows website my local exchange 'Lulsgate' has no LLU operators equipment. At the moment I am with TalkTalk and download speed when everything is good is about 6Mb. When I phoned them in Oct 2011 to ask for a MAC number, they told me their equipment would be in my exchange the very next day and BroadBand would be free, so I agreed to another 18 months contract which runs out soon. I've been happy with TalkTalk, but I've looked at other BroadBand providers websites lately. When I enter my phone number for checking availability, they all say much the same that my speed should be approx 17Mb download and of course cost about £16 a month. I asked about speed on the TalkTalk forum and when I eventually got an answer was told I was getting the fastest speed my line could handle. So is that right or could I get a faster connection if I switch to say BT. I don't mind paying more for a better service but would be silly if I got the same. (BT says I can't get Infinity). Thanks for any advice..
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 17:41:31
Print Post

Re: Bit confused...

[re: mkay] [link to this post]

The speed will be roughly the same for any provider using ADSL2+

differences in kit and settings may make some difference, but unless it slows down massively at busy times I would probably stay put.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 22:11:32
Print Post

You clearly are not on TalkTalk LLU. You were lied to. (A word I normally object to seeing on these forums as it is rarely the correct one).

In common with all other LLU ISPs, at exchanges where they do not have LLU they only offer "up to 8Mbps" ADSL services. So it is true to say your line is as fast as it can handle on TalkTalk non-LLU, but not necessarily what it could give on ADSL2+.

If you can find the line stats from your router we could confirm your particular line's potential. The results from this checker would be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 15-Mar-13 22:12:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Mar-13 22:41:28
Print Post

As stated, you are on TT non-LLU, which delivers up to 8 Meg, the fastest your line will handle on that particular platform.

However, if you were to migrate to an ISP providing the BT Wholesale WBC ADSL2+ platform, shown on SamKnows as:
21CN WBC status: Enabled
then might get connections speeds up to 24 Meg, depending on your current router stats which you were asked to post so we can advise you. There are many such ISPs, such as BT, Plusnet, EE and others.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mkay
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:33:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

OK Thanks for those replys, hope this is the correct info you asked for:

Mode: G.DMT
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 7616 kbps 448 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 13.5 15.0
Attenuation (dB): 26.0 15.0
Output Power (dBm): 19.5 12.0

Super Frames: 9774225 9774225
RS Correctable Errors: 16748 72
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 340 75

HEC Errors: 903 26
Total Cells: 16628 55383
Data Cells: 55985363 3087608
Bit Errors: 0 0

------------

Telephone Number 01275****** on Exchange LULSGATE

Available Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date

Featured Products
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:51:32
Print Post

Yes, you have a similar length line to mine. You would get 17-18 Meg @ 6 dB NM on WBC ADSL2+, as BT Availability Checker accurately confirms, or as much as 20 Meg @ 3 dB NM, as I am getting at the mo'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mkay
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-13 18:24:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thankyou. That's good to hear. I'm going to switch to BT as soon as possible.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Mar-13 18:30:33
Print Post

Any particular reason for BT? Nearly every ISP in the country - well over a hundred, is available to you.

EE and Plusnet being major contenders. Speeds shown on the product pages on websites will probably stop at 16Mbps, but ignore those. That just means at least 10% of customers actually connect at that speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Mar-13 18:32:44)

Standard User mkay
(newbie) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:55:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not really, except it'll be BT's equipment and any problems should be easier to sort out rather than going thru someone else first. Unless you know any one who is better. I was with BT years ago and problem I had was sorted very quick...
Standard User zhango
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 12:06:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Any particular reason for BT?

How about the £100 Sainsbury Gift Voucher - offer ends in 6 days?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to