General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 2pods
(member) Mon 18-Mar-13 15:07:24
Print Post

using the test socket with a filter

[link to this post]

Would there be anything gained by using a ADSL filter with a phone and the router connected directly to the test socket ?

It's just that ISTR being asked to plug the router directly into the test socket when my ISP were troubleshooting a problem, and the sync was a lot higher than I was getting in the "normal" socket.

TIA

Plusnet ADSL+
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 15:17:12
Print Post

Re: using the test socket with a filter

[re: 2pods] [link to this post]

In the normal socket you will also have all your extension wiring connected, which can act as an aerial picking up all the Medium Wave interference that affects ADSL.

If you have extensions and want to keep them consider lifting the wire out of pin 3 on the faceplate e.g. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

If you have no extensions, i.e. nothing connected to the face and speeds are a lot better at the test socket, then your faceplate probably has dirty connectors.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 2pods
(member) Mon 18-Mar-13 17:14:24
Print Post

Re: using the test socket with a filter

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've removed wire 3 etc.

However, I'm sure there is more wiring that I can't get to. Apart from the master socket, my BT wiring is prehistoric. I had a thread over on Kitz, that I'll try and link to when I find it.

Plusnet ADSL+

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to