General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cliveanne
(newbie) Tue 26-Mar-13 08:43:11
Print Post

Usage cap & costs

[link to this post]

I see that there is a usage cap (10 Mbps) if I go to Plusnet (O2 customer). I have a 'smart' TV which at the moment is next to useless, more buffering than viewing. How much of the allowance will be used watching a 2hr film, or say catching up on i-player or other similar services? My wife like to play (for hours) Facebook games, I guess that this would take up a lot of usage.
Looking at "Which?" magazine, the cost is lower if I take up Plusnet £19.98, but Sky has a 40 Mbps cap, £31.50. Whereas Plusnet have a good track record on service etc. Sky are way down the list for service. I am between a rock & a hard place. Cost is important as a pensioner. Any advice would be useful.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Mar-13 09:47:52
Print Post

Re: Usage cap & costs

[re: cliveanne] [link to this post]

Only the cheapest Plusnet product has a usage cap of 10GB (Gigabytes). They also do an unlimited product.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/plusnet/package/12... Unlimited with Plusnet

On the Sky 40 Mbps cap - I don't follow as their broadband products are unlimited and I think you are confusing broadband speeds with usage limits.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/sky/package/1261.html Unlimited with Sky

Which exact Sky product was coming in at £31.50? I presume this is including telephone line rental.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cliveanne
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 07:04:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I had the information from Which? I have seen that I was wrong with Plusnet & have found that there were other offers available. I'm hoping my son will be around soon as he has the knowledge & can advise / help me in making my choice, he too is an O2 customer.
Thank you for your replies.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Mar-13 08:37:30
Print Post

Please can you tell us your exchange. That will tell us a little it more about what is available to you from all ISPs.

Are you meaning to move the phone line to Plusnet as well, or is that staying with someone like BT?

Plusnet Unlimited ADSL2+ which is probably the equivalent to your O2 broadband, is only £9.99pm at most exchanges, with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre being £19.99pm at many. Then there is the line rental from Plusnet or wherever. (You can't keep it at O2 if that's where it is).

There are offers as well of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cliveanne
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 18:05:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

01283 Burton on Trent code.

There is an exchange at Woodville (Swadlincote, S' Derbyshire) which could well be mine.
My line along with broadband is on O2.

Plusnet if that turns out to be the one for me will be the provider for both.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Mar-13 19:03:43
Print Post

smile
Thanks, but it's amazing how wierd BT routing can be at times. I'd hate to look at the wrong exchnage and tell you something incorrect.

If you put your phone number into this checker it comes back with your exchange details.

If you post the URL of that reply then we can look at it, (your phone number doesn't show up). Or just the exchange code, like this one:- Exchange code: NIAFN

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 27-Mar-13 19:04:21)

Standard User cliveanne
(newbie) Thu 28-Mar-13 07:22:29
Print Post

Exchange Name OLO County Region
Swadlincote EMSWADL Derbyshire West Midlands
That's a new one to me. Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

Edited by cliveanne (Thu 28-Mar-13 10:51:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Mar-13 08:57:11
Print Post

See a PM I shall send in a minute smile. A flashing envelope by Forum Index in the menu bar.

Standard User cliveanne
(newbie) Thu 28-Mar-13 10:52:47
Print Post

Now edited, hope this good smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Mar-13 13:53:34
Print Post

Yep, it's a Market 3 exchange, so the banner prices are what you would pay.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to