General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trevstan
(learned) Fri 29-Mar-13 12:23:34
Print Post

Broadband downlolad speed.

[link to this post]

Currently I get an average 73 Mbps FTTC (Sometimes more) now divide that by 8 = 9.125 mb/s.

Currently when I download I have seen the max download speed of 8.5/6 mb/s.

Is my adding up wrong and I am expecting to much? Or is something throttling me?

Cheers x

Edited by trevstan (Fri 29-Mar-13 12:25:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 12:56:05
Print Post

Re: Broadband downlolad speed.

[re: trevstan] [link to this post]

You never get 100% of your maximum speed, for all sorts of reasons including where the stuff is coming from and all the routers it has to go through to get to you.

If you run the BT Wholesale Performance Tester, make a note of the latency on the initial results page, then click the Further Diagnostics button near the bottom, it asks for your phone number then gives you a silly graph and two useful text boxes. The important extra info there is the IP Profile, (down and up).

Knock a bit off that for various overheads and that's what you can get.

Just a minor point, which can confuse people reading your posts. Connection and transmission speeds are measured in kbps or Mbps, (b = bits), which is what you are typing, but file sizes are measure in bytes (B = Bytes). You've done the conversion right, but you mean 9.125MBps or MB/s. Most downloaders report in MBps because you are pulling a file and thinking file size. Speedtesters report in kbps or Mbps because they are checking the connection speed

Do you mean the reported downloads are between 6 and 8.5? Are some download sites consistently low and others high? WHich ISP is it? Some have throttling or congestion, others don't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-Mar-13 12:56:43)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 15:08:24
Print Post

you're ignoring overheads, for example a 1492 byte PPPoE frame might carry 1464 bytes of data, which is a 1.9% reduction. Not enough to explain the difference, but part of the story.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trevstan
(learned) Fri 29-Mar-13 16:05:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry wasn't clear my download speed seems to cap out at 8.5MB/s but best I have seen is 8.6MB/s, p2p I have seen a max of about 8.2MB/s.

My ISP is Plusnet Unlimited Fibre and my BTW says latency 22 and -: http://i46.tinypic.com/s4qlpv.jpg and a speedtest-: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2608691853.png i have had quicker speed tests and BTW ( around 75/76Mbps) but around there seems the happy medium and i am syncing at the max... So should be around 9.2MB/s?

I have tried various sites to download and a maxed out seeded Ubuntu torrent with the same results.

Just wondering if any of if it could be hardware related (My Pc etc...)? Or maybes i just haven't found a link/links to max my connection out totally.

Edited by trevstan (Fri 29-Mar-13 17:22:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Mar-13 17:33:07
Print Post

Just the usual small loses at various spots adding add.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 30-Mar-13 12:00:42
Print Post

IP profile 77.44 Mbits/s

Typical good performance 235 kbytes/s per 2M IP profile suggests 9099 kbytes/s so 8500 speedtest isn't bad.

On an "unlimited" product I would expect to see some reduction from contention at the ISP, and you only have a CIR of 30Mbits/s from the cabinet, so I would enjoy it while it lasts wink

A tweaktest like
http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php allows you to check the "bandwidth delay product" - just in case.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User trevstan
(learned) Sat 30-Mar-13 17:16:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
IP profile 77.44 Mbits/s

Which what i have been told is max sync for 80/20? As I can't hack my modem to check as it's a ECI model which is a lot harder.
Typical good performance 235 kbytes/s per 2M IP profile suggests 9099 kbytes/s so 8500 speedtest isn't bad.

On an "unlimited" product I would expect to see some reduction from contention at the ISP,

Yeah happy with what I am seeing just making sure nothing was holding me back I managed to get 8.9MB/s on p2p last night... So your right about that ^.
and you only have a CIR of 30Mbits/s from the cabinet, so I would enjoy it while it lasts

Now you've lost me haha.

Edited by trevstan (Sat 30-Mar-13 17:20:36)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 11:04:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by trevstan:
IP profile 77.44 Mbits/s

Which what i have been told is max sync for 80/20? As I can't hack my modem to check as it's a ECI model which is a lot harder.

Yes, it is, 77.44 x 1.033 = 80.00 (to 2dp)

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
  Print Thread

Jump to