General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 18:38:22
Print Post

Blogging software advice please.

[link to this post]

I would like some advice please.

The biggies seem to be Blogger (Google on inhouse servers). Tumblr also on inhouse, and Wordpress inhouse or on your own host.

I'm not too keen on Google, or any inhouse service. I'd rather use my usual host - Tsohost. But Wordpress seems to have a bit of a bad security reputation. On the other hand Wordpress claims to have iPxxx and Android apps, which sounds useful.

I'm not too fussed about it being Linux or Windows based as Tsohost have both. Free software preferred, but if it is better and not too expensive I suppose I would go for it. Especially if it has a trial period.

I want to post, and receive comments. With the ability to moderate them if necessary. In time I may be happy to allow others to do opening posts, but I haven't thought a lot about that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-Mar-13 18:41:55)

Administrator seb
(founder) Fri 29-Mar-13 19:14:15
Print Post

Re: Blogging software advice please.

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'm thinking about resurrecting my blog as there's a lot of issues I want to talk about (although slightly torn about whether to use TBB blog instead; some of the stuff is not TBB related but it might be better to focus on developing one set of content rather than multiple tongue)

If I do resurrect my own blog, I was very tempted to move it into a hosted service (a la google) actually rather than keeping it on my own server--security is a pain with own setups.. but also I'm not sure there's a huge benefit.. still unsure though.

seb

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
seb@thinkbroadband.com

personal blog - blog.seb.me.uk
twitter - @sebtweet
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 19:16:21
Print Post

[re: seb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by seb:
Hi,

I'm thinking about resurrecting my blog as there's a lot of issues I want to talk about

Pop into the park. People with issues, a speciality. tongue

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:43:16
Print Post

[re: seb] [link to this post]

I wasn't meaning a server run by me seb. Fully hosted at Tsohost was what I had in mind, like RobertoS site. Their support is excellent, and they do backup daily.

Their main security should be OK, and they do give some tips on additional security steps to take for Wordpress - I haven't had any other suggestions yet. They claim to be hosting over 10,000 installations of it.

In fact, I've just found a walk-through of a typical installation for dummies. I think I may just go and read it .... tongue

It isn't going to be anything to do with broadband, but I'm hoping will not be a total dead duck at birth.

Thanks for the input however.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to