General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:01:58
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

To be honest, I've not got much if an idea about throughput speeds and could only recall the times taken to download the Xbox file. I will ask my Son if he can clarify the info and let you know what we come up with smile strangely, I have a thing about wanting to be an electrician, but I think with my knowledge I will stay clear of it. I know there is a difference between an electrician and a technician, but if I can't get my head round this, it's the safest way. If my Son reads this forum, he will wonder how I managed to build him a Gaming PC. I'm wondering myself now smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:24:34
Print Post

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

Ah electrickery! I like to think of it in terms of plumbing: water pressure, volumes, etc.

Too much demanded water (internet traffic) along a small pipe equals a bottle neck and hence a reduction in gallons (MB) per minute at each branch-off point (router) smile

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 01-Apr-13 22:26:33)

Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:51:31
Print Post

That's awesome. You could of saved 9 pages of trying to make me understand BB with that one post smile
I want to be a plumber now. I think it's the answer to most problems smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:53:18
Print Post

But water and electricity don't mix smile
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:55:35
Print Post

Problem solving has clearly never been my strong point smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 23:15:34
Print Post

Same here: sometimes by trying to solve one problem I create a multitude more laugh
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:34:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
That's awesome. You could of saved 9 pages of trying to make me understand BB with that one post smile
I want to be a plumber now. I think it's the answer to most problems smile
An explanation of Noise Margin, which you need top read before the second link,
and
an explanation of High Noise Margin.

What Sky product were you on? It begins to sound like Sky Connect.

The reason I ask is that if it had been Sky LLU that could have explained this issue if it started at Minute 1 of the migration. If it was Sky Connect the migration should not have caused any issues at all.

Good luck with the engineer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:36:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
We have asked OP to get stats to show us so we can assist him, not for showing eng.
It's strange that no-one has mentioned the extremely odd fact that he is still on Fast Path.

I wonder if the BrightBox is duff? Or maybe just needs a Factory Reset?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Tue 02-Apr-13 10:55:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your post - and your website looks like a good starting point for me.

Regarding Sky, they had two different types of Broadband. One being the Connect that you mentioned and another cheaper one I think. I'm not to sure which way round they were, but when I took out BB with Sky, they told me that I was in a "Sky Service Area" and would therefore be as to take advantage of the cheaper package (I guess this is using their own equipment at the exchange)?

It was so long ago that I signed up with Sky, that I really can't remember if it was called Connect or not.
To be fair, if Sky hadn't 'over subscribed' their BB network and chocked it, I probably would of still been with them.

Sorry if none of the above makes sense, but I will see if I can find out which package I was on smile
Still waiting for the Engineer he's supposed to be here before 1pm and I've not had a phone call to say he's on his way yet, but will update once he's been.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Tue 02-Apr-13 11:17:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point. When I last spoke to EE Faults Management Team, they led me to believe that it would swittch to 'Interleaved' if there was too many errors and with a high amount of signal losses in a very short space of time, I would of expected it to.

I have questioned the Brightbox router and even looked into the possibility of using the old Sky Netgear and Siemens ones I have as they were extremely reliable.

EE seem to think that crediting money to my account is a short term solution to this problem, but I'm more interested in having a reliable and stable BB connection.

I have Factory reset the router a few times on the advice of EE, but that's always been done during the 10 day stabilisation and wondered if that can cause its own issues ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to