General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Apr-13 21:45:26
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

That's with faceplate on and no reboot?

LoS holding OK, but ES too high. Aim for about no more than 1 ES per min.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Tue 02-Apr-13 23:42:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes. Faceplate is still on as Tuesdays are a busy night for me over on Twitter - so not had the chance to remove it yet. Just checked the Stats again and after 9hours connected, ES's are now at 6681. I'm guessing this is far to high and the faceplate needs to come off to see if this helps to keep them down. Also I have massively fluctuating speeds. I know I'm in the 10 day stabilisation, but a D/L of 0.34 and an U/L of 0.67 can't be right can it ? Or is this something you would normally expect? The router is still showing a Downstream of 15697kbps. Also, would it be worth asking EE to send another router or just purchase a new one? And Thanks for all your help smile
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Tue 02-Apr-13 23:50:02
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for the router advice. I'm looking into it now smile
Just a thought, I've got my old Sky Sagem router still. It's about 3 years old and was very stable and reliable. Is it worth bothering with or too difficult to change the firmware ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Apr-13 00:35:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
Thanks for the router advice. I'm looking into it now smile
Just a thought, I've got my old Sky Sagem router still. It's about 3 years old and was very stable and reliable. Is it worth bothering with or too difficult to change the firmware ?

Probably best to use the test socket again for a while as XRaySpeX suggested and monitor how your broadband performs with the current router. Then at a later stage, if you are still reasonably happy with the service that you are getting from the ISP, i.e. stability and throughput speeds, we can look again at the error rates etc. and verify, with another router, that you have an optimised connection (and of course you will have a spare - the Sky Sagem might be OK for that, but I'm not sure though.)

If you are not happy with the service and decide to change ISP then another router would probably be provided anyway.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Wed 03-Apr-13 01:05:15
Print Post

You're absolutely right. I think my biggest problem so far is frustration. My 10 day stabilisation seems to of lasted for at least 30 days so far - so I tend to be running away with ideas a bit. Saying that.... I think it's safe to say that once my BB is sorted, they will probably role out Fibre Optic. It's jurist my luck smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Apr-13 01:17:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
You're absolutely right. I think my biggest problem so far is frustration. My 10 day stabilisation seems to of lasted for at least 30 days so far - so I tend to be running away with ideas a bit. Saying that.... I think it's safe to say that once my BB is sorted, they will probably role out Fibre Optic. It's jurist my luck smile

No harm would be done though if you requested EE to send out another router - it is normal to try an alternative router/adsl lead/micro filter in the test socket when one has concerns about broadband performance. But I don't think we have got to that stage yet smile

Edit: Actually ISP's, such as Plusnet, will recommend the use of an alternative router etc. in the test socket before one agrees to having an OR SFI visit. That increases the chances of the fault being exchange side of the NTE5/test socket and hence one would not be charged for the diagnosis and repair if the fault was found beyond one’s premises.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 03-Apr-13 01:35:34)

Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Wed 03-Apr-13 02:30:39
Print Post

I'm still sure there is something not quite right with these ES's. I noticed from the lights on the router had gone out and it was re-syncing. 10 minutes later I copied the stats.

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1195 (Kbps.)
Downstream 14007 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 6.4 dB
Line Attenuation 17.6 dB 32.5 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.2 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 4086 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 3334 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 153 0
Statistics
Received Cells 449091
Transmitted Cells 110603

I think XRaySpecX said we were looking for 1 per minute.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Wed 03-Apr-13 02:57:52
Print Post

As a follow up to the previous stats. Faceplate is removed and router rebooted. This is the stats 10 minutes after the reboot.

ADSL STATUS

This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1227 (Kbps.)
Downstream 14707 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.6 dB 6.1 dB
Line Attenuation 17.6 dB 32.5 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.3 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 6115 3
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 14870 4
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 203 2
Statistics
Received Cells 36296
Transmitted Cells 48447
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Apr-13 04:01:05
Print Post

Too short a period. Need days rarher than mins. Just let it run and take stats daily. Plse post Time Connected alongside them.

Good it is holding 6 dB NM Fast Path and no LoS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Vince730i
(regular) Wed 03-Apr-13 10:18:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks. I am really impressed with the overall improvement so far. I think I'm getting a bit too varied away with these Stats and in particular ES's, but I guess I need it to stabilise as that could cause a high amount of ES's maybe ? Any particular time of day to post stats (and time connect) ?
Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to