General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:31:25
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
I've got noise on my landline and I have a new master socket...

???

Did fitting a new master socket and filtered faceplate cure the landline noise?

Was it an OR SFI engineer who did the work and did he check your line from the test socket?
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:35:57
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

If anything, since the new socket and filtered faceplate, its been a nightmare - and yes, an OR engineer fitted and tested my line afterwards. Oddly... Everything was fine for 9 days and I only had 2 loss of signals in that time. The rest are from the last 24 hours.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:40:16
Print Post

If anything, since the new socket and filtered faceplate, its been a nightmare - and yes, an OR engineer fitted and tested my line afterwards. Oddly... Everything was fine for 9 days and I only had 2 loss of signals in that time. The rest are from the last 24 hours.

Can you just do a quick quiet line test using a corded phone if possible - dial 17070

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:51:24
Print Post

I don't have a corded phone, but while I was watching my router earlier while trying to reconnect to broadband, I did do a quiet line test and could quite clearly hear crackling and a varing low to high tone.
I just can't quite work out what has caused this so quickly. I've disconnected my phone for now and spend most of the evening watching the lights on my router instead.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:20:49
Print Post

I logged into my account and noticed a selection to do with my speed and clicked on it. It stated that I am forecast to receive 2meg download
If you mean this:
speed information

The speed estimate at registration or the speed we have measured on your line is 2.0Mb.
It has always said that about my 20 Meg sync line, and for others I have spoken to.

Therefore it is meaningless.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:32:32
Print Post

I've got noise on my landline and I have a new master socket that doesn't require the micro filter as its now built in.
An OR eng fitted 1 of those for me for "cosmetic purposes". It was noisy! Since replaced by normal NTE5 faceplate + dangly filter; it is much better.

Recoomend you hard reboot router and plug into test socket with dangler (won't affect you as you have no extensions now).

Then run for a day or 2 and report back "Time Connected" & full router stats, so we can keep an eye on error rates.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:37:48
Print Post

I don't have a corded phone, but while I was watching my router earlier while trying to reconnect to broadband, I did do a quiet line test and could quite clearly hear crackling and a varing low to high tone.
I just can't quite work out what has caused this so quickly. I've disconnected my phone for now and spend most of the evening watching the lights on my router instead.

Filtered faceplates do fail - tomorrow during daylight can you power off and connect the router to the test socket using only a dangle micro filter, turn on the router and then, once the connection is esbalished, immediately check and record the router stats? This will eliminate all your home wiring from the circuit with the faceplate removed and, if it is convenient, can you leave the router connected that way for a day or so in order that the line can be monitored?

Also do another quiet line test tomorrow with a corded phone, if you can get hold of one, connected to the test socket/micro filter.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 08:38:45
Print Post

If you have audible noise on the phone line then that's a fault that can be reported to your voice / telephony provider. Resolution of that will probably resolve the broadband issue.

The online fault reporting at bt.com and similar usually runs a test and gives a clue if a fault is detected.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:15:20
Print Post

Hi, to be honest I have had no losses of signal now for over 26 hours. So at present I have just left it alone. EE are sending out an OR Engineer on Tuesday, and I'm going to be having a chat with him and see what is going on. Regarding the filtered face plate, the OR Engineer that called before led me to believe that as I have the new faceplate, the telephone wire connects to the bottom and the RJ11 cable to the router connects to the top. And will only work in the top socket. I'm new to all this telephone stuff - so forgive me if I've made little sense. I'm guessing that there is still a master socket behind this new type of faceplate that I can plug a micro filter into ? I ask as I suspect a similar problem to crop up again in the not too distant future,
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:20:24
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. I have done a quiet line test this morning and all seems to be fine. I've had no loss of signal now for the last 26 hours hours and apart from my upload speed being all but useless, all is good. I seem to of lost a considerable amount of upload speed during the 200 odd loss of signals.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to