General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:37:26
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

yes, the fibre filtered faceplate has the xDSL connection at the top. The whole thing comes off to reveal the test socket as before.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:44:16
Print Post

So just what were the symptoms or problem that prompted you to post here in the 1st place?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:48:02
Print Post

You can remove that faceplate and in the master NTE5 you will see the test socket into which you can connect a dangle micro filter. It is the test socket that is normally used to check for any line problems since generally the rest of the home wiring (extensions etc.) will not be connected. It's an acceptable procedure for the end user to connect both the phone and phone plus router to the test socket - in the case of phone and router then a dangle micro filter should be used. Or for a router only connection to the test socket, then a modem lead (phone plug to rj11 lead) can be used without a micro filter.

I suspect that the OR engineer may only be coming to check for a voice fault since you haven't specifically mentioned that he will be a SFI engineer tasked with checking the broadband. However curing a voice fault, if there is one present, may be sufficient to improve your broadband performance issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:31:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
So just what were the symptoms or problem that prompted you to post here in the 1st place?

I came here due to the knowledge of the replies on the forum and because I have spoke with EE Fault Management Team at great length and they give very little away in terms of help. Also I was interested to know if there was anything I can do myself to help ease my broadband problem and make it more stable while EE decide what they will do next. I've has this loss of signal problem since day one of being with EE and I just can't seem to make them understand that I don't think the problem or issue is being resolved, more painted over than anything. They promised me faithfully that I would not experiance any further problems after the last OR engineer visit - yet its been worse and my disabled son relies heavily on a stable and reliable Internet connection. I have so many questions, but by posting the ADSL stats, I thought you guys might be able to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm willing to try any advice given, but would rather wait untill the loss of signal cycle starts again as I'm in the frame of mind that 'if its not broke, don't fix it' right now. EE didn't initially offer me a second engineer visit, but with NM fluctuating, I didn't understand what is good and bad until I found this forum. I have gained a lot of understanding in the hope that when I speak to EE Fault team... I can comfortably say what you have all advised. It's very helpful stuff and I really do appreciate all replies.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:41:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
would rather wait until the loss of signal cycle starts again
Loss of Signal is the obvious issue, but you don't know whether the other error indications, like Error Seconds, are too high w/out monitoring Time Connected. Our suggestions will cost you nothing.

EDIT: Eng visits can do nothing about the too high NMs; that can only be done by EE/BTw.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 31-Mar-13 14:43:37)

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:45:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thank you for the detailed reply. I didn't really want to pull things apart just in case the new faceplate was different. All EE have said to me (regarding the engineer visit) is he will "sort it this time" hence why I came on here as I really didn't expect to see such a great loss of signals and fluctuating NM since an OR visit. Is it at all possible that the issue hay be coming from the exchange? And that leads me to the "Near End & Far End" question. Is near end my router and far end the exchange? Or is it a bit more technical than that? Sorry to keep asking questions, but I have a gut feeling that EE/Orange could be doing more to resolve this ongoing problem.
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:55:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have to go out shortly, but I will reboot and connect directly to the master socket once I get back late this evening and post the router stats tomorrow. Do I have a higher than average values on anything from the stats page I posted ? I honestly have no idea as I've only just started looking into NM, Error Seconds and Loss of Signal ETC.... I have been trying to understand as much as possible, but I'm still unsure of what is good and bad apart from loss of signal which I know so many in a short time is very bad. I have new micro filters that came with my EE router. Is it best to use a new one or the previous one I was using with My old provider? I just want to make sure that everything is right to limit any errors on my part.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 15:02:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
And that leads me to the "Near End & Far End" question.
"Near End" is your router and measures downstream figures; "Far End" is the exchange and measures upstream figures. You should concentrate on "Near End" measures. "Far End" ones are held at exchange and nor affected by you rebooting router.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 15:10:20
Print Post

Good!

NM: On good lines the Down Target (sync-time) NM should be 6dB or even 3dB and will then vary slightly during the sync session. Yours is far too high; your Target NM was probably 15dB. The higher the Target NM is the slower the sync speed. The UP Target NM is usually about 6dB.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 31-Mar-13 15:13:59)

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 31-Mar-13 15:16:14
Print Post

I suggest that as well as the EE Bright Box Stats, you should also try to get some idea of how long your phone line is.

That information may be available along with your Distribution Cabinet ID, via-

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

(Some phones such as SKY are NOT included)

Regarding the "dongle", my understanding is that the xDSL/BB side is "straight-through", any Hi-Pass (Broad Band frequencies) filtering being built in to the Bright Box etc; and that it is a Lo-Pass (Low Frequency, audio only filter) on the phone side/output from the dongle.

So normally to test the Bright Box only, nothing else connected, you do not need the dongle.

However, there is a chance of failure in the Lo-Pas filter components (usually a choke/coil and capacitors) which could cause problems such as a (partial) short of the "straight-through" signal, so possibly a second test with other (new) dongles may help clarify.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to