General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:16:24
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Not sure what you are getting at: OP's downstream attenuation is 33dB and yours is 24.5dB. Are you suggesting that he has excessive loop loss possibly due to aluminium rather than copper in the line to the exchange, or something else, based on your stated distances to the exchanges?
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:34:15
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I supplied the data as a basis for comparison, given the almost identical distances.

You may be correct regarding aluminium wires and the Local Loop distance; but as no information has been given on that aspect, it is difficult for anyone to comment; but it has produced this possibility from you and may lead to an explanation at least, if not an eventual solution.

I was hoping that others with more up-to-date knowledge and more local knowledge of EXETER may be able to enlarge on such aspects.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:17
Print Post

Let's wait until the OP gets some results from the test socket and then we can perhaps comment further smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:40:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Interesting comparison.
Where?

You are conning yourself with the so-called BE line lengths. Yours and the OP's attenuations are vastly different!

You are just misleading the OP!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:50:01
Print Post

You may be correct regarding aluminium wires and the Local Loop distance; but as no information has been given on that aspect, it is difficult for anyone to comment
No, you have all the info. you need! The OP's loop loss is 33dB. Whether this is due to length or materials or a combination of both, it is a fact and there is nowt the OP or his ISP can do about it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 31-Mar-13 21:57:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, you have all the info. you need! The OP's loop loss is 33dB. Whether this is due to length or materials or a combination of both, it is a fact and there is nowt the OP or his ISP can do about it.
But if it's due to something else (sub-par connection somewhere?) then there may be...

Knowing the actual cause of something is useful information, even if it means that all you can do is shrug your shoulders and put up with it.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 31-Mar-13 22:09:09
Print Post

Interesting comparison.
Where?

You are conning yourself with the so-called BE line lengths.
http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker
I find that checker somewhat underestimates line length.
It doesn't do any estimating, it simply reports what's recorded on a BT database
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 09:32:52
Print Post

Agreed fully that there is nothing that the OP or ISP can do about it, if it is aluminium.

I posted that data simply for comparison; and given his 33db attenuation, the basic rate is unlikely to increase by much.

My only experience of aluminium wiring is with a 1990's Alarm System, for the domestic internal wiring.

I have tried searching for the use of aluminium wire on the phone market; but so far I have not found anything relevant.

Do you know if and when aluminium wiring/cables was used for the Exchange to Cabinet and onward to Domestic premises, was prevalent?

I suspect that it may have been in the 1960s and 1970s, as back in the 1950s, the underground cables were copper, soldered joints and encased in sleeves with "wiped" soldering, traditionally using beaver skin. Quite an art on itself!

Thanks for any information you can provide on those aspects,, learning more every day.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 09:35:07
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Agreed.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 01-Apr-13 09:58:29
Print Post

in Milton Keynes yesterday. The city's telephone network, built in the seventies when the price of copper was sky-high, has an awful lot of aluminium in it, which makes it pretty useless in terms of delivering broadband.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to