General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 10:12:48
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks Batboy.

That helps explain the very low speeds that a colleague encounters in MK, compared to myself up in the Kingdom.
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 10:51:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Morning all.

Router now connected to the test socket and no landline plugged in and here are the stats from 2 minutes after turning the router back on.

ADSL STATUS

This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1208 (Kbps.)
Downstream 9727 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.5 dB 14.5 dB
Line Attenuation 17.6 dB 32.5 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.2 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 228 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 81 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 7 0
Statistics
Received Cells 1879
Transmitted Cells 472
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 11:14:32
Print Post

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

Looking good - if the downstream noise margin can be reduced to 6dB (or even 3dB) then your downstream sync should improve considerably. Upstream noise margin and sync speed are now looking spot on!

Please leave the router connected to the test socket until the engineer comes tomorrow (?) and I'm sure it will be OK to plug the phone into the dangle micro filter also. The router may re-sync before tomorrow and the downstream noise margin may reduce to 12db initially with a corresponding increase in sync speed - keep an eye on it smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 11:36:08
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply smile

I just have two questions now.
1, EE can sort out the NM if I speak to the Fault Management Team?
2, What was the likely cause of the high NM's and massive loss if signal?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm sure EE could do a little bit more for the customer than arrange a OR Engineer visit in 6 days after reporting the problem.

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated and very interesting smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 11:57:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
I just have two questions now.
2, What was the likely cause of the high NM's and massive loss if signal?

Question 1 : hopefully an EE user can answer that based on their experience of dealing with that ISP

Question 2: it's possible that interference from telephony equipment/wiring in your home has been leaking past the filter and affecting the upstream ADSL frequencies, in particular, causing a general poor performance. Any noise (interference) on the line will result in a noise margin being set when the ADSL connection is established (sync time) depending on it's severity. This margin can then vary during a period of connection and acts as a buffer against an ADSL drop.

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 01-Apr-13 12:02:11)

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 12:06:17
Print Post

Thanks again for your help and knowledge. It's been a massive help to me.

I will have to look through the thread as I can't remember who said to contact EE Fault Management Team about the NM.

And I'm guessing that when I spoke to EE during my high NM and loss of signal the other day, its likely that they could of given me a procedure to follow to try and get my broadband back on track? As opposed to saying "we will send an engineer out for you."
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 12:14:31
Print Post

They possibly thought it could be a home wiring issue and hence the filtered faceplate being fitted as a precaution - however I'm surprised that they never advised you to use the test socket in order to check the status of the connection, even BT ask folks to do that even if they just have a voice fault.
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:42
Print Post

I see what you mean. I'm going to call the Fault Team later on, and will let you know what the say regarding the NM. At a guess, I am aware that EE assume that every new customer are a fair distance away from the exchange and for that reason they do put restrictions on. I think they may be to do with the difference between Fast Path and Interleaved? As when I first joined EE I was on interleaved and my Download speeds were considerably lower. Since the OR Engineer visit, I have been on Fast Path with considerably higher speeds. As I said, I am only guessing as I am very new to all this DSL stuff, but do customers suffer similar issues on Fibre - or is that a whole new ball game? smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 13:17:54
Print Post

I think I would be inclined not to contact the ISP just yet about the NM and interleaving but to leave the setup as it is for a while and monitor it. Others including the engineer may, of course, have a different view regarding how to proceed. Personally I prefer an interleaved connection since I prioritize stability over speed and latency.

Sorry don't know anything about fibre - an ADSL2+ 13000Kbps sync speed on a 37dB attenuation is ample for my needs smile

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 01-Apr-13 13:24:08)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 13:34:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
(It was me). Leave it running a week or 2 from the test socket. It may sort itself out.

Those stats are good so far; the upstream has vastly improved.

Please take the stats and post just before the eng comes.

The DLM sets Interleaving or Fast Path automatically based on the stability it perceives; EE can't force it. Fast Path will give a faster Up sync on stable lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to