General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:11:02
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I will leave off the call to EE, but will update what the engineer says. I'm guessing that this will reset my line and the 10 day stabilisation will kick in? I tend to suffer a fair amount of loss of signal during this time and not sure if its normal as I have not got an idea how DLM works.
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:15:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I really can't thank you enough for your help and knowledge and speedy replies.

I will happily get the router stats before the Engineer visit and post them as soon as. At a guess, it will be no good posting any stats after the visit due to DLM ?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:24:33
Print Post

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

Did you manage to to do a quiet line test with a corded phone now that you are connected to the micro filter/test socket? Or is the line quiet even when using a cordless phone?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:44:35
Print Post

Tried the quiet line test with the cordless phone and no noise at all. Everything seems to be good right now. In fact, I might take a look at the stats again to see if there are differences since this morning.

Just checked and noticed my NM are changing. Near End is currently at 7.2 dB Far End 16.4 dB at time of reboot it was Near End 6.5 Far End 14.5. Is this normal fluctuation - or does it mean there is an underlying issue ?

Edited by Vince730i (Mon 01-Apr-13 15:00:37)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:57:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
Tried the quiet line test with the cordless phone and no noise at all. Everything seems to be good right now. In fact, I might take a look at the stats again to see if there are differences since this morning.

It looking as if you had a faulty filtered faceplate - yes it will be interesting to see how your stats look now.

I'm not sure about the "training/stabilization period" thing but that would probably only happen again if your connection was formally reset by the ISP. I believe at the moment your line is being constantly monitored by the exchange kit and a resync may happen automatically in order for you to achieve "the fastest possible speed" smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 15:18:34
Print Post

Sorry missed your edit...

Increase in NM is a good thing since the reboot - it means the line is less noisy and you have more margin to play with - if the margin had reduced then there would have been noise events that caused it and hence less margin to play with. For example: if a sync time margin is 6dB and there is a significant noise event that uses up that margin then the margin may reduce to zero and the DSL may drop due to a high error rate. Some routers can hold a connection with a zero margin (e.g. 2Wire routers which are very useful on long lines where there is considerable loop loss and susceptibility to noise.)
Standard User Vince730i
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 15:37:04
Print Post

Thanks again for the reply smile

I was thinking that higher NM's were a bad thing. Sorry for comming across a bit dim with all this, but I really did try and make sense of it myself, but I managed to get lost quirte early on. Saying that, you guys on here are amazing and very helpful and tolerant of people like me - so thank you for that alone smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 16:08:40
Print Post

Best of luck with the engineer visit - make sure you have a good selection of biscuits handy to go with his tea smile

As XRaySpeX advised, please record your router stats tomorrow before he comes.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 16:54:24
Print Post

I was thinking that higher NM's were a bad thing.
Depends on context.

A too high NM at sync-time means it found too much noise variation at that time to be able to sync with a lower NM (or that the ISP or DLM is holding it high for the time being).

An increase of NM since sync-time means that noise has reduced since then and that is a good chance that if you were to re-sync now you'd get a faster sync with the same earlier sync-time margin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 16:59:59
Print Post

noticed my NM are changing. Near End is currently at 7.2 dB Far End 16.4 dB
Small point of terminology: NMs are measured Up/Downstream, not Near/Far Ends, and anyway you mixed them up.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to