General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:42:15
Print Post

Re: DSL Error Help

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
From experience the *engineer* will ignore what you show anyway,
We have asked OP to get stats to show us so we can assist him, not for showing eng.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:45:58
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
I did say from *my experience*.

seem to remember that you might have had those Qube people rather than a pukka OR engineer, or am I confusing your previous problems with some one else‘s?
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:46:13
Print Post

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

Yes, but that is the point.

They only have a certain test[s] to do with their equipment - that is their job. When the test[s] pass, no faults found, you are stuck with the same [censored] connection as it meets the BT standard. The engineer isn't interested (nor bothered, I suppose) to see why... he just does the tests to make sure the line is kosher or YOUR end is bad (then bills).

Trust me, I have been here, tee-shirts etc.

Nick

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 19:02:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
I got so fed up with it (router) starting to re-sync on a Thursday/Friday that I called them and said that something must be wrong, and they sent an Engineer out. I had an unfiltered face plate which he changed for the new type and all was good for a while.

The engineer should be able to check that out but it does perhaps seem that you have a home wiring problem that was remedied by the fitting of a filtered faceplate which may have now failed - all this is speculation of course.

BTW do you have a Sky box normally connected to your phone line?

Yes ADSL2+ will be more sensitive than ADSL MAX - what were your previous throughput speeds when you were with Sky ( I realise that you probably don't have any router stats from that time) but it might give us some indication of the line's previous performance - although Sky ADSL MAX is normally really dismal when it comes to throughput (download) speeds.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 19:30:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And although I've been a little bit slow on the advice from the guys on this forum, their assistance has been fantastic And appreciated very much. My chat with the engineer tomorrow will consist of the signal losses and the noise I experienced on the line during the quiet line test in the hope it gives him enough to go on to fix the problem.
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 19:53:38
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It does sounds like there was a problem to start with, but I was unfortunate enough to suffer a second one

I have never had my Sky box connected to the phone line as I couldn't really see how it benefitted me to be honest.

When I had Sky BB, I must confess that it wasn't that bad. D/L speeds were around 5.5 and U/L was around around 0.7. The reason I left sky was down to their BB virtually grinding to a halt, and at the time of that happening, it coincided with an article I read about Sky 'over subscribing' and choking their own network. Plus (this might open a whole new can of worms) I was told that Sky have a ratio of 200-1 whereas Orange/EE have a Ratio of 50-1. Plase don't shout at me too loudly for the ratio's, it's what EE quoted to me when trying to recruit me smile

Although my current speeds are higher than with Sky, my son informs me that with Sky.... He could download stuff at 1MB per second but with higher speeds from EE it tends to be about 600Kb per second. I have no idea what area I'm getting into here but it might make more sense to you guys than it does to me? I'm purely guessing that the website he is downloading from may be responsible for this ?

Ithe website he downloads from is steampowered.com I am very strict regarding torrent sites - so they are not allowed.

Edited by Vince730i (Mon 01-Apr-13 20:00:24)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 20:15:57
Print Post

5.5 Mbps and 0.7Mbps throughput speeds do seem about right for an ADSL MAX type connection on your attenuation.

Please check again with your son's figures: a 1MB/s file transfer = 8Mbps (8 x 1024 = 8192Kbps) and 600Kbps = 600Kbps! If he is seeing 600KB/s then that would be 4800Kbps (600 x 8 = 4800Kbps.)

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 01-Apr-13 20:25:39)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 01-Apr-13 20:20:47
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Rhodesia / Zimbabwe was a large source of copper, and sanctions sent the price sky high.
"In addition, about £10 million of the additional cost of copper imports in 1967 might be attributed to the Rhodesian situation, among the many factors affecting copper prices."

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Vince730i
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 20:46:45
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Certainly files (games in my Son's case) did seem to download a lot quicker with Sky than EE. And I use my Xbox 360 for online gaming, and even with a better download speed than Sky, I do lag while playing the games, and 'lag out' quite regularly. I recently downloaded a 1.86GB file on my Xbox, and that took 34 minutes with Sky. I re-downloaded it again with EE and it took 1hour 15 minutes - and that was with a D/L speed of 7.67 and a ping of around 130.
Looking into it now, it does seem a bit strange.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 21:45:46
Print Post

There are so many factors than affect throughput speed, but I was just questioning your son's 1 MB/s reported speed.

Your 34 minutes for the 1.86GB download would have averaged out at about 7375Kbps which is good for an ADSL MAX type connection - in fact possibly too good if you had an IP Profile...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to