General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 05-Apr-13 16:27:46
Print Post

Sky email SNAFU

[link to this post]

Having been slightly aghast at seeing Sky switch to Yahoo from Google for email, today's chaos isn't a shock.

BT Yahoo's POP3 service is as reliable as an unreliable thing, so news that "Many UK customers of Sky are being deluged with thousands of old and deleted messages as the company switches email providers" sounded painfully familiar.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Apr-13 20:43:47
Print Post

Re: Sky email SNAFU

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Shows how much people can trust Google. Deleted emails should be deleted - maybe stored as some do for a few days but after that deleted completely. But Google has kept them all, and I wonder if they have retained copies for their own use too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 20:58:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Depends how Google supplied the emails, and how Yahoo asked for them. If they were in the form of backups, probably the easiest way of supplying such material, then it is quite possible for deleted emails to reappear if they weren't restored sensibly. Nothing sinister on the part of Google, but possible incompetence from Yahoo (and/or Sky).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Apr-13 21:40:05
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

But "thousands" for individual customers? That's not a "backup", that's an archive that hasn't been declared/recognised as such.

Exactly the sort of reason I would never want to use gmail for personal stuff. What worries me more is the indexes it has on the content, and will no doubt have retained even after transfer of the service to yahoo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:50)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:19:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And surely *delete* means delete.

The Internet is all going to pot IMHO.

Nick
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:26:55
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
And surely *delete* means delete.
Not usually- it's just marked as free space on the HDD, the data is still there. Has been ever since before DOS days, hence "undelete" programs.

And even if you over-write it, it's still in the backup... that's the whole point of taking backups!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:45:54
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Who's talking about backups?

If a user deletes an email it should be deleted? Yes or no?

This was a recovery from backup was it? No. It was a migration of some sort that bugg3red up big time and shows what isn't deleted (and kept) when the user asked it to be.

Nick
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:46:14
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Do these "deleted" emails include those that had been POP3'ed and not left on server?

Those should have been deleted from server immediately the client read them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:46:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's not a "backup", that's an archive that hasn't been declared/recognised as such.
A backup is an archive... I think you'd have problems coming up with definitions that distinguished them satisfactorily. The only real difference is the age of what's in them.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 05-Apr-13 23:53:01
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
Who's talking about backups?
AEP, and I agree with him that it's the most likely way the transfer was done.
If a user deletes an email it should be deleted? Yes or no?
Yes from the live data set, No from the backup. If push came to shove, I'd hope my email provider could retrieve an important email that I'd accidentally deleted.
This was a recovery from backup was it? No. It was a migration of some sort that bugg3red up big time and shows what isn't deleted (and kept) when the user asked it to be.
Read AEP's post that I linked to, and my first comment in this one. How would you have done it, a mass "forward"? Restoring from a backup is by far the easiest way to do such a thing.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to