General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vince730i
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:22:40
Print Post

EE Broadband SNR Reset

[link to this post]

I'm back again.

Since all the problems on my previous thread, I have contacted EE to ask what is going on and where we are with this ongoing fault.

The Fault Management Team told me to "wait 5 days until the SNR stabilises itself". Can anyone tell me what download issues I should expect during this time? ie; Slow speeds, Loss of Signal Etc.... ?
Or should I not really notice any difference?

Thanks smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:52:25
Print Post

Re: EE Broadband SNR Reset

[re: Vince730i] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vince730i:
I'm back again.

Since all the problems on my previous thread, I have contacted EE to ask what is going on and where we are with this ongoing fault.

The Fault Management Team told me to "wait 5 days until the SNR stabilises itself". Can anyone tell me what download issues I should expect during this time? ie; Slow speeds, Loss of Signal Etc.... ?
Or should I not really notice any difference?

Thanks smile

In your previous thread we learned that a SFI would have the authority and ability to reset your DSL connection using various tools at his disposal. It is possible that a new stabilisation/training period began after the last engineer's visit and hence waiting 5 days for the SNRM to stabilize is quite feasible.

As before, during the initial 10 day stabilisation period, you will probably notice DSL drops and changes to SNRM's/sync speeds if the DSL connection was actually reset.

Of course the exchange kit will be continuously monitoring your line and making adjustments as and when necessary but it should never fall below a certain sync speed threshold after the stabilization period - if it does then the ISP is obliged to investigate.
Standard User Vince730i
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:22:32
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply 4M2.smile

I called them last night and asked if I was in re-train and they said no, but it may be a standard thing that's done anyway. I still can't stream films to a tablet, download a file and my D/L speed dropped to 0.02 while my Son was downloading a System Update (New Firmware) on his Playstation 3. That concerned me as it could of 'Bricked' his console. The throughput speed is becoming a bit of a concern I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:29:42
Print Post

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but when you get the new router/ADSL lead/micro filter hooked up to the test socket and if there is no improvement then we can perhaps pursue the matter further...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:41:37
Print Post

"Of course the exchange kit will be continuously monitoring your line and making adjustments as and when necessary but it should never fall below a certain sync speed threshold after the stabilization period

Care to explain more? There is nothng with WBC stopping a line going from 7000 Kbps sync to 200 Kbps sync, if the line deteriorates suddenly.

The 10 day stablisation period is again being bestowed with mystical powers, it is pretty simple, starts off at a certain target noise margin, and then if errors or loss of signals are bad the target margin can be increased, or if VERY stable it may be lowered. The very stable period is usually 14 days unless someone manually pushes a few buttons.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:42:14
Print Post

They probably just want to see if the line is all over the place or has settled down.

Nothing to do with any magical changes they have made I suspect.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vince730i
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:55:40
Print Post

I'm really hopeful that the router will resolve the fault, but I'm still not convinced the current router is the problem. smile
Standard User Vince730i
(regular) Tue 09-Apr-13 13:57:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's definitely all over the place. My other problem now is I have very little hair left to pull out! smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 14:01:55
Print Post

All over the place, as in the modem stays connected and the SNR as displayed in the router is wandering around? In which case nothing to do with DLM but all to do with varying levels of noise in the local area.

If its that just after a resync your noise margin is 6dB, then 9dB, then 12dB within a few seconds after success resyncs then that would be DLM, but it should not be lower after a resync unless there have been a few days of stability. If this initial target is wandering, then suggests someone is manually pushing buttons to play with the line setup.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 14:03:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"Of course the exchange kit will be continuously monitoring your line and making adjustments as and when necessary but it should never fall below a certain sync speed threshold after the stabilization period

Care to explain more? There is nothng with WBC stopping a line going from 7000 Kbps sync to 200 Kbps sync, if the line deteriorates suddenly.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm - sorry is 21CN WBC any different to that then?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to