General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 13:47:23
Print Post

How long to generate a MAC?

[link to this post]

Does anyone happen to know how long it takes to generate a MAC code? I am in the process of ordering BT Infinity but cannot proceed any further without a MAC code. I have asked my ISP for a MAC code but they tell me this will take upto 5 days, is this 5 working days? From a bit of googling I have read that people have got theirs over the phone in a matter of minutes, some immediately or within the hour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 13:57:03
Print Post

Re: How long to generate a MAC?

[re: LoWLatencY] [link to this post]

Depends on the company, systems and processes.

Companies under Ofcom rules must provide a MAC within 5 days. Some will by policy take 5 days. Others can do it pretty much immediately. Some, where they are buying wholesale services from soneone other than BT (such as those that use wholesale talktalk or Be services) may take longer as the systems are not so well automated.

And occasionally they can do it quite quickly but forget to send it (which happened to me).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 13:57:54
Print Post

Up to 5 working days is the maximum time frame they are allowed.

Basic generation once passed to the right person with the access to the systems is just seconds. Question really is how long a chain to get that person, and how busy that person might be.

The fast providers have automated it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 14:40:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for the info. I don't foresee receiving it before the weekend now so it's likely I'll have it by the beginning of next week. I requested it 3 days ago so by Tuesday next week presumably.
Standard User YusufChowdhury
(newbie) Fri 04-Oct-13 16:53:23
Print Post

Re: How long to generate a MAC? *DELETED*

Post deleted by YusufChowdhury
  Print Thread

Jump to