General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 17:45:05
Print Post

Help with stats and speed.... Please

[link to this post]

I've just been connected to Sky and my speed seems pretty low to that which I was quoted, I know a lot can change within the first 10 days, so I am not worried at this stage.

After looking at my stats, the Noise Margin seems high at 15.3 when Sky usually goes down to 6db, so a lot to play with. At my previous address, using the 7800n router I managed to get a stable connection with the Noise Margin down to 3 db.

I've listed my current line stats below, could someone give me a good estimate of the speeds I should be achieving with those stats. The stats seem good to me but I may be wrong;

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4091 kbps 606 kbps
Line Attenuation 23.0 dB 13.6 dB
Noise Margin 15.3 dB 19.19 dB

Many thanks in advance...

Currently using the Sky hub, I'll be switching to the Billion 7800n with the SNR tweaks once I obtain my Username and Password from the hub.

Is there a different program to that which was used with the Sagem to get your User details or can you use the same?

Thanks again smile

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:08
Print Post

Re: Help with stats and speed.... Please

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Those stats remind me of what one might see with a Sky ADSL MAX "Connect" account except for the upstream sync of course.

Give it time and it might improve: a downstream SNRM of 6dB on an ADSL2+ attenuation of 23dB should give you a downstream sync of 19168Kbps.

Was the router connected to the test socket with all phone extensions disconnected when you recorded those stats?
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:25:15
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

The router was connected directly to the master socket, not test socket. I have no extensions in the property, just the one line coming in and the main socket.

The service was only activated today, so I'm not surprised that the speeds are low but I thought those stats were pretty good and should give me a lot better sync than that what it is at the moment.

Am I missing something? You say those stats remind you of an ADSL MAX 'Commect' account...

So, would you say the stats are pretty poor?

Thanks for your help....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:44:43
Print Post

Can you try connecting the router to the test socket behind the master NTE5 faceplate via a dangle micro filter without a cordless phone connected or powered on, if that is your setup?

Also try a corded phone, if you have one, in the test socket with and without the router connected and check for any audible noise?

Sky ADSL MAX "Connect" doesn't have a good reputation for BB performance - but I'm fairly certain that you don't have that since your upstream sync is well above 448Kbps smile
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:51:22
Print Post

It's defiantly Sky Unlimited LLU or that's what's ordered and shows on my statement. Usually the target SNR is 8 with Sky, possibly 6. Seems odd that its up around 15 :/

I'll try and get to the test socket but some fool has two central heating pipes in fromt of it which makes it difficult to get access...

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:15:06
Print Post

DONT PANIC

Sky start of their DLM at 4 Meg and increase the speed over a period of days to what they think is the fastest speed the line can handle

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:24:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah brilliant. So in theory, with those stats I should or could achieve 16Mb?

Thanks smile

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
I'll try and get to the test socket but some fool has two central heating pipes in fromt of it which makes it difficult to get access...

Please ignore what I said about connecting to the test socket etc. I didn't realize, as Mr Saffron pointed out, that your speed will start at a meagre 4 Meg blush
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:26:55
Print Post

Thanks 4M2, I wasn't aware Aky started at 4Mb. I'm sure other providers start from the top end of the scale and lower accordingly dependant on errors etc.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:49:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
Thanks 4M2, I wasn't aware Aky started at 4Mb. I'm sure other providers start from the top end of the scale and lower accordingly dependant on errors etc.

That's the great thing about this web site - we learn so much useful info smile

Just like you, I would certainly have been very concerned if I only got 4 Meg for starters...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to