General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mac_d
(regular) Mon 15-Apr-13 19:31:22
Print Post

Broadband speed check LLU reseller query?

[link to this post]

I've been looking at alternatives to Be and am wondering if the speed check settings for resellers/operators of the LLU services give different results?

To explain what I mean, on BT's network the speed I can get is around 6MB, whereas with BE I can get 12MB. The Be speed checker correctly estimates I will get 12MB, but resellers like Xilo, ADSL24 only estimate 6MB.

When I enquired about it they said something about they can only estimate what BT tells them, but that if I take the LLU option on 02's network there is no reason why I shouldn't get the same kind of speed I get with Be.

I'm clueless, does that sound right?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Apr-13 19:56:01
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed check LLU reseller query?

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

The reason is that no other ISP, other than Be, has access to your actual Be performance data, so they are all forced to rely on BT's unreliable database, which you can see yourself at: BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
In reply to a post by mac_d:
on BT's network the speed I can get is around 6MB, whereas with BE I can get 12MB.
Are you say you actually got 6 Meg from BT or that BT estimates your line at 6 Meg? If the former you must have been on 20CN ADSL Max. Perhaps BT doesn't have 21CN WBC ADSL2+ at your exchange but Be does have LLU ADSL2+. What exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 15-Apr-13 20:18:53
Print Post

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

who cares, you'll get what the kit can deliver at the time. Marketing claims are just that - claims.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mac_d
(regular) Tue 16-Apr-13 21:58:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks XRaySpeX, that's exactly what I wanted confirmed - Be (as owner of the LLU network and not just a reseller) can give a proper estimate whereas the resellers are relying on BT's info.

You are correct that my exchange just has standard ADSL, so all I can get is 6MB (that's not just an estimate as I've previously been with BT) unless I use a LLU option. With Sky taking over Be I'm looking at my options and I'd obviously prefer to continue using a LLU network that I know can deliver 12MB rather than than drop back to 6MB!
  Print Thread

Jump to