General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pueblo5
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:34:46
Print Post

EE BrightBox...System log issue

[link to this post]

Hi

I really only understand a little about broadband but am learning quickly since I got the EE Bright Box so please be gentle.

I have a few issues, amongst them; speed slowing down; losing connection to server. So started looking at my Bright Box system log when the above happens and noticed that the log was a hour in front; that is if say it was 15.30 the system log said it was 16.30. So thinking that this may be causing a conflict or something phoned EE in India who appeared to know nothing beyond there "tick box" questions. The person who I was talking to went off and came back saying it was nothing and that the time the box reported was factory set. Not excepting this since it showed the correct time before my problems, I turned the box on then off again the system log then showed the correct time...so not factory set.

As anyone got any ideas on this; I also keep getting my computer saying that the network cable is unplugged, nothing wrong with the modem or cable, just have to switch the box on and off again a couple of times and it connects again.

Thanks for reading

Edited by pueblo5 (Wed 17-Apr-13 09:35:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:43:29
Print Post

Re: EE BrightBox...System log issue

[re: pueblo5] [link to this post]

I think I've noticed that every time it re syncs it gains an hour. It's a bug but nowt to worry about. Mine is 16 hours ahead over 33 days:
Thu Apr 18 01:37:00 2013 admin login success from 192.168.1.xxx
Post your router stats so we can advise on speed/discon issues.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 17-Apr-13 09:44:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:44:21
Print Post

The clock being out by an hour is probably just a software bug brought on by British Summer Time

It should make no difference at all to how the device operates, a good many routers simply start their time from 1970 when they are unable to contact their preset time server on the Internet.

Routers generally don't have a battery back up clock like a PC, so as soon as they can get an internet connection they will ask a server somewhere what time is it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:45:24
Print Post

The time being an hour wrong is almost certainly due to the end of GMT and change to BST. Routers can usually synchronise the time to one of the internet time services but often the adjustment for summer/winter time is optional.

However the time being an hour wrong will not upset the router.

It you are getting "cable not connected" errors from the PC the first thing to try is to swap over the ethernet cable to ensure that it is not a cable / connector problem.

It "may" be a router fault. Try another port on the router. When you get this error do the lights on the router still flash? Is there another PC / SKY box / Printer / etc connected to the router? If so does that still work? Do you have wireless on your PC? If so does this work when the cable doesnt?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:46:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The clock being out by an hour is probably just a software bug brought on by British Summer Time
It does it in the winter.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 09:53:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Had not seen your post about it increasing each time router resyncs

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pueblo5
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:36:35
Print Post

Thanks everyone for your replies here are my stats:

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 7.0 dB 6.1 dB
Line Attenuation 15.0 dB 16.5 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.4 dBm 19.9 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 1411 636
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 23 2
Loss of Signal Defect 1 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 83 0
Error Seconds 105 0

Hope this is what you wanted? Oh box been in use since Sunday 14th April.

Oh forgot to say I have 2 computers connected via cable 1 running windows 7 64bit and the other running XP 32bit. Both have been changed to 100 Mbps full duplex. Wireless and WMM are disabled.

Edited by pueblo5 (Wed 17-Apr-13 10:49:04)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:48:13
Print Post

You left out most important bits, speed:
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1163 (Kbps.)
Downstream 19995 (Kbps.)
Also "Time Connected:" from top Status screen.

Standard User pueblo5
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:51:24
Print Post

Sorry,

In case you did not my edit I also added:

I have 2 computers connected via cable 1 running windows 7 64bit and the other running XP 32bit. Both have been changed to 100 Mbps full duplex. Wireless and WMM are disabled.

Hope these are the stats you want

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.1(G.DMT)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 224 (Kbps.)
Downstream 3520 (Kbps.)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:59:30
Print Post

Very slow! You should be getting 8 Meg.

Get the stats from the hidden test socket. Have you removed ring wire? Any phone extensions?

You are only on ADSL Max (g.DMT). What exchange?

Attenuations are unusual. Down usually 2 x Up.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to