General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rotaxengine
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:24:21
Print Post

Moving House - Could a change of ISP increase speed???

[link to this post]

Hi, I am new to this site but have spend about an hour looking to find an answer to my question - any help would be very welcome.

I am moving house and where we are moving to they have have a download speed of 3Mb - well that is when I run the speed test on their computer via the bbmax.co.uk speed test page.

Their ISP is BT. I want to stay with my current ISP which is Freeola as I get good service and host a number of websites with them.

My question is - is the download speed ONLY determined by the copper wire going into the house or does the ISP play a part in this? Will or should I get the same speed with any ISP at that location?

Thanks in advance for you help

Ken

Edited by rotaxengine (Thu 25-Apr-13 18:24:52)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:31:35
Print Post

Re: Moving House - Could a change of ISP increase speed???

[re: rotaxengine] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rotaxengine:
My question is - is the download speed ONLY determined by the copper wire going into the house or does the ISP play a part in this? Will or should I get the same speed with any ISP at that location?
The headline or connection speed will likely stay the same. Moving from a BT based ISP to an LLU one can have a slight impact on speed but not all that much usually. Some ISPs don't offer the same range of products but as MHC says that's unlikely to apply in this case.

The difference between ISPs usually just comes down to how many hours of the day you can run your connection at full speed. Different ISPs have different rules/costs and some don't have enough capacity for all their customers at peak hours. If you're happy with your current ISP you might as well stick with them.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Thu 25-Apr-13 18:34:07)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:32:48
Print Post

Simplistically: The copper wire, in general, dictates the maximum speed a line can support. However, some ISPs have products with higher top speeds that others although at 3Mbps it is unlikely to affect you and some ISPs cap speeds but again unlikely. I would say you will probably get the same speed with whichever ISP.

However, do some more checks and the best way to get a better understanding is to run the speedtest from the main TBBsite: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and also get teh full modem stats - attenuation, SNR and sync speeds both up and down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:47:53
Print Post

Also which exchange?

Which wholesale ISP supplies Freeola? Is it BTw?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 19:51:00
Print Post

Hi, I am new to this site but have spend about an hour looking to find an answer to my question - any help would be very welcome.

I am moving house and where we are moving to they have have a download speed of 3Mb - well that is when I run the speed test on their computer via the bbmax.co.uk speed test page.

Their ISP is BT. I want to stay with my current ISP which is Freeola as I get good service and host a number of websites with them.

Ken
Welcome Ken.

Adding to what the others have said, your connection speed and throughput there with Freeola will be at least as good as the current occupants get.

If you are able to do a little delving once you are in we may be able to help you improve both, as relatively few people have their home wiring optimised. The current occupants probably don't.

When you are in and connected have a look at this page and see if you can post the line stats here.

Good luck with the move - house and broadband smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cadmanmarsh
(newbie) Mon 06-May-13 13:00:05
Print Post

According to me it will affect the speed definitely because all process of getting speed depends on the signals when it will get weak signals then it will give slow speed.If it has the signal strength good there then it will not affect the speed.And other thing that affect is that time when you use the internet.If it is the time peak time then obviously then it will give slow speed.

Cadman Marsh
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 13:26:42
Print Post

[re: cadmanmarsh] [link to this post]

Hmmm.

What a very strange post that doesn't go near addressing the question asked, from a newbie with a profile that is interesting in more ways than one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 06-May-13 13:29:57)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Mon 06-May-13 14:12:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It seems like a toe in the water type post...for what purpose I know not Post does not make much sense but it breaks no rules...so will await developments.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-May-13 15:03:32
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

I think I know why and it has got them banned and any benefit removed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 15:07:15
Print Post

Re: Moving House - Could a change of USP increase speed???

Ken
Speedtests only tell one part of a bigger story ,Metaphorically speaking That being thoughput, and there can be a few reasons that can give a poor thoughput, other than the line from exchange to master socket from internal home wiring or the router being used and a few other reasons too, However there are some things within the isp's control that can sometimes improve speeds , Just that there are some isp's who won't manually configure things BT retail would be one of these who won't do it, (or if they do,it would be no easy task to achieve)

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 06-May-13 17:26:33)

Print Thread

Jump to