General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 18:02:38
Print Post

Daft question re IPv6

[link to this post]

If you have an IPv6 IP address, does that prevent you from accessing pure IPv4 websites? (Or even impure IPv4 websites tongue).

Do you currently need an IPv4 one as well, and if so how will that issue be resolved?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User awoodland
(regular) Mon 06-May-13 18:35:18
Print Post

Re: Daft question re IPv6

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you have an IPv6 IP address, does that prevent you from accessing pure IPv4 websites? (Or even impure IPv4 websites tongue).

No, the "normal/default" situation for now is dual-stack. In that case your browser would first make a DNS query for an AAAA record. When no such record exists (as would be the case for an IPv4 only site) it will then try an A record query which will return a "normal" IPv4 result and the whole connection will proceed as if there was no IPv6.

Do you currently need an IPv4 one as well, and if so how will that issue be resolved?

Yes and no. For dual stack operation, which is where deployments are currently headed you need both an IPv4 and IPv6 address per interface. (Or multiple addresses more likely for IPv6).

Longer term NAT64 is likely to play a big part - one box plays the role of "translator" for lots of IPv6 only clients that want to talk to IPv4 only hosts.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-May-13 19:23:51
Print Post

[re: awoodland] [link to this post]

The key is for move devices like games consoles to support ipv6

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 19:29:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting point, XBox360 currently has no IPv6 support: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/hh994905....

Oliver.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 20:23:19
Print Post

If you have an IPv6 IP address, does that prevent you from accessing pure IPv4 websites?
It doesn't prevent you but it is of no use to access anything on IPv4 alone.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 21:53:45
Print Post

[re: awoodland] [link to this post]

So really, you mean yes. If you only have an IPv6 address you can't access a website that doesn't. You have to have an IPv4 one as well, which is just silly.

That NAT64 and 464xlat looks as though it ought to be forced to be placed in front of IPv4-only web hosts. How? The mind boggles.

Thanks for the background and that link smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 21:56:59
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
If you have an IPv6 IP address, does that prevent you from accessing pure IPv4 websites?
It doesn't prevent you but it is of no use to access anything on IPv4 alone.
?
To me that reads "It doesn't prevent you but yes it does prevent you". My question tried to specify a user with an IPv6 address and no IPv4 address, trying to access a website with an IPv4 one and no IPv6 one smile. (I'll edit it).

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 06-May-13 21:58:40)

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 06-May-13 23:01:04
Print Post

One supposes that dual-stack could be later twinned with carrier grade NAT on ipv4 to achieve this... It's one solution at least and might explain BT/Plusnet paying that idea attention.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 06-May-13 23:51:58
Print Post

To me that reads "It doesn't prevent you but yes it does prevent you".

well nothing in IPv6 prevents IPv4 working but equally IPv6 provides no IPv4 connectivity.

Owning a stick of chewing gum doesn't prevent you changing the wheel on a car, but it isn't helpful either wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-May-13 00:58:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I gather you didn't connect the final sentence of my OP to what preceded it smile.

Anyway the question is answered - the whole setup is a complete dog's breakfast, and likely to get worse. Madness!

Imagine removing all fuel injection systems from petrol-using car engines and modifying the engine management systems to control a carburettor!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to