General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PCThicky
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 18:32:39
Print Post

ISP speed problem, host server or my own PC?

[link to this post]

I have recently changed my Orange broadband/home phone package (had to do this as they were discontinuing the second line) from one giving me test speeds of about 6Mb to one giving about 18Mb. However, I can't say I have noticed any particular difference.

What I really want to know is how can I tell if apparently slow downloading of internet pages (or occasional complete loss of connection) which I sometimes experience is due to my computer, the host server or to my broadband connection. I don't know how to answer when asked to rate my ISP provider for speed or connection reliability? I don't want to blame Orange if I should be thinking, for example, of adding more RAM or whatever.

It might be worth adding that I occasionally watch BBC iPlayer on my TV (connected to router with ethernet cable) and this is never a problem but, that said, it was always OK at the lower 6Mb speed.

Would appreciate your comments.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 19:27:37
Print Post

Re: ISP speed problem or host server?

[re: PCThicky] [link to this post]

Post your router stats.

If BrightBox: Login to it, Advanced Settings/ Accept/ System/ ADSL Status.

EDIT: It will not be your PC!
In reply to a post by PCThicky:
(had to do this as they were discontinuing the second line)
Why? The Livebox & existing connection would still work w/out 2nd line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 13-May-13 19:32:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 19:34:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Also post the link to your speed test results

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PCThicky
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 20:28:24
Print Post

With my old package I had a Livebox. With the new package I am using the new BrightBox.
I have followed your instructions and arrived at a page full of what to me is gobblydegook (see my user name!).

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear but when 2nd line was discontinued I still wanted a package with free anytime UK and overseas calls hence the change to the new Orange package offered. At the same time I transferred my line payment from BT to Orange. I have to say that the £20/annum deal I was offered - new Brightbox, faster broadband, anytime calls UK and 64 overseas (including 500 min to UK mobiles) and line rental - was difficult to match. Maybe this was a sweetener to stay with Orange (or EE, whatever they are called) and it will increase (like car insurance)after one year!

I am not saying that I have any complaints, it's just that if I have any any speed or connection problems I have no way of knowing where the problem lies.
Hence how can I rate the ISP if, say, the fault lies with my PC or the server of the web site I am trying to log on to.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 20:44:07
Print Post

The trick is that the connection details from the router give the best indication, and after that it is knowing what sort of speeds you normally get and seeing how they vary over time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 21:53:51
Print Post

Re: ISP speed problem, host server or my own PC?

Do you know if your connection has BT 21CN WBC, what is the name of your exchange?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

EE/Orange Bright Box router settings, to configure Go… Advanced Set-Up > Accept > Broadband Settings.

BOADBAND SETTINGS
This page provides advanced settings to connect your EE Broadband service

Broadband Type ADSL
Broadband Username:
Broadband Password:

Protocol: PPPoA
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Encapsulation: VC MUX
Internet IP Address: Dynamic
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
DNS IP Address: Manual
Primary DNS: 193.36.79.101
Secondary DNS: 193.36.79.100
Connection Type: Always Connected
Idle Time: 0 (minutes)
Authentication Protocol: CHAP
MTU (576~1500): 1500

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-May-13 22:16:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
]Why? The Livebox & existing connection would still work w/out 2nd line.
I expect the broadband was on the second line and he wished to reduce to one line, keeping the number present on line 1.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 22:34:00
Print Post

With my old package I had a Livebox. With the new package I am using the new BrightBox.
I have followed your instructions and arrived at a page full of what to me is gobblydegook (see my user name!).
I am not saying that I have any complaints, it's just that if I have any any speed or connection problems I have no way of knowing where the problem lies.
Hence how can I rate the ISP if, say, the fault lies with my PC or the server of the web site I am trying to log on to.
You copy and paste the information given in your Bright Box router ADSL Status page.
Go… Advanced Set-Up > Accept > System > ADSL Status.

My EE/Orange connection Bright Box router stats. There are no secrets given away on this page it just displays how your connection is performing. wink

ADSL Status
This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1249 (Kbps.)
Downstream 13448 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin ...... 5.2 dB 4.5 dB
Line Attenuation 15.7 dB 29.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.4 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 222148 81
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 1193 2
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 26919 0
Error Seconds 159 2
Statistics
Received Cells 1578216
Transmitted Cells 245161

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 13-May-13 22:54:59)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 23:33:47
Print Post

I have followed your instructions and arrived at a page full of what to me is gobblydegook
That's why we ask you to post them. We don't expect you to interpret them; we will do that for you.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 23:37:44
Print Post

Re: ISP speed problem, host server or my own PC?

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I cannot fathom why you always insist on telling OPs how to set-up the BrightBox when they obviously already have a connection but are querying its speed. It's the stats that are required in the 1st place not the settings.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to