General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User missbliss
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 00:28:56
Print Post

DSL Drops Throughout the Day - At Night It's Fine ??

[link to this post]

For the past 2 months have had intermittent connection drops - sometimes up to 10 times an hour throughout the day. I changed the modem, called the ISP, had the line checked, cleared out cache, malware, did resets - and I've come to the conclusion - something is going on that's NOT KOSHER on my line but what?
Running XP, it's a simple ADSL D-Link modem - when the drop happens, one of 3 lights will either disappear completely or the one that indicates a connection will start blinking, then the dialer appears ready to redial and so it goes.
However, at night - it's a completely different scenario - ZERO disconnects. My thoughts have been something/one is tampering with the line - but could they? How? Is there anyway to see it via a logger of sorts? I feel just completely helpless - the ISP says everything is fine, the phone company same thing - but I know it's not and I'm not a techie by any stretch - so how do I figure out what's going on? Any help muchly appreciated.

Miss Bliss
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-May-13 03:44:13
Print Post

Re: DSL Drops Throughout the Day - At Night It's Fine ??

[re: missbliss] [link to this post]

Firstly the best thing to do

Go to your master socket. It should look like this

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/iplate/bt-maste...

You want to find the one looking like the right hand side image. See it has the slit across the middle section.

Then unscrew the two front screws so that the socket looks like this
http://www.exbtengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011...

Plug a filter into this TEST socket and connect the router straight into this filter.
You do not want to use ANY extensions.

So that's TEST SOCKET - FILTER - router cable directly into router. No extension wires such as this
http://tinyurl.com/arqkuom (THESE ARE BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD)

Your setup wants to look like this
http://adsl.yesyes.info/pics/Testsocket2.jpg

With this setup. Does it drop out?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 20-May-13 03:45:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 09:31:28
Print Post

What exact model of D-Link modem?

If we know that people can point you towards the connection metrics and see if things look good or bad there.

There may be an issue that the ISP is ignoring but does not show up if you call the phone company. They only test the line for voice quality, ADSL is a totally different set of tests

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User missbliss
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 17:37:05
Print Post

Hi,

Spoke to the phone company and they did another check on their side, this time they said there was some *interference* on the line. What appears to have happened is they did a massive upgrade of mps to a whole region, not huge but enough to cause these drops in connection - apparently my infrastructure couldn't handle the extra load. So tomorrow someone is coming over to repair that and see if this isn't resolved.

In the meantime, they decreased the mps on my line so I could at least go online without all those disconnects and so far it's been ok. I'll update tomorrow and let you know what happened and if this is actually the reason for the disconnects.

Thanks SOOOO much for your help,
Miss Bliss
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-May-13 19:15:10
Print Post

What's "mps"? Do you mean "Megabits per second"?

If so, how can they do a massive upgrade of them for the whole region?

Are you meaning they have upgraded the exchange equipment? If do, that can't benefit everyone in the area. What exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User missbliss
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 20:29:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Should've done some research on what exactly it is they did - but apparently it's MP/s? They've been tooting this horn for a while now - saying how great it'll be - *we're giving it to you for free - bla bla bla*. So it's been weeks now since apparently they've carried it out. I had no idea when it happened and didn't even make the connection between the drops and the alleged *upgrades*. All I know is now they confirmed that this is what they did, and apparently whatever infrastructure is in my neck of the woods, couldn't handle it and that's what they're going to attempt to repair now.

Is that making sense? All I know is it all seems a bit backwards, like if you're going to do that kind of upgrade, wouldn't you first make sure you had the right equipment laid down first?

So - that's the story. smile)

Miss Bliss
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 20:30:52
Print Post

This makes no sense to me

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 20-May-13 20:36:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Maybe going from ADSL2 to ADSL2+ ?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User missbliss
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 20:38:03
Print Post

Hi,

It's a DSL 2500J . I'd like to test it after they fix whatever they think on fixing. So sick of incompetents. Can't tell you how many times I got the *everything is fine* reply - with nobody even mentioning this upgrade they did and how it might mess people's connections up.

Anyway - at least nobody is on my line...that's the good news.

Miss Bliss
Standard User missbliss
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 20:39:16
Print Post

Here's the story. Nothing makes sense to me either. Maybe you can explain it better:

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?d...

Cheers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to