General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reech23
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 14:16:10
Print Post

Moving House - Broadband Options

[link to this post]

Hi

My girlfriend and I are moving house in June (Cambridge address) and I'm looking around for the best broadband options. Unfortunately it is not in an area where Virgin can give us what we currently have (30Mb).

We are having to move over to Sky for our television so I got a quote from them and have some other speeds from varying suppliers below. We really want the fastest possible, so any ideas on options we have missed would be greatly appreciated smile

Sky £22 per month - between 2.6Mb and 7Mb
Virgin £30.98 per month - between 1.6Mb and 4.4Mb
Orange / EE not sure of the price - Their site estimates 3.5Mb

I think we are 1.2 miles away from the exchange.. but I'm not certain of this. Any way to confirm this and what implications it will have?

For the most part we both use our computers online at the same time. Browsing internet, emails, gaming (Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft mostly) and online poker (Full Tilt / Pokerstars etc). Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and the speeds will be fine and only really affect us when we download large files and game patches. But I'd really like to get the fastest we possibly can.

Thanks guys smile

Richard
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 20-May-13 14:37:44
Print Post

Re: Moving House - Broadband Options

[re: reech23] [link to this post]

use the BT address checker

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

or the phone number of a nearby shop, pub etc for a speed estimate.

Do not use Virgin for ADSL.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 15:36:59
Print Post

Based the Virgin estimates, it suggests its not a cable area, so avoid Virgin ADSL product.

The Sky £22 per month, can I double check what this is made up of? As if that is the broadband cost alone (i.e. excluding line rental) then sounds like an off-net deal and again best avoided.

The estimates while varying will be across the same telephone line, so probably not that different in actual practice. Personally I would not be moving to a property that did not have an active broadband connection already, which lets you get a real idea of what speeds are possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reech23
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 15:46:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The £22 quote from Sky included line rental, I think it was £14.50 line rental plus £7.50

Everything about the house is perfect for us, we just didn't check this out in advance as we assumed being in the centre of Cambridge it would be in a cable area. My main problem I guess is not knowing what speed is actually needed for the types of thing that we do online :/ as it's looking like we are stuck with getting around 3Mb.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 16:28:27
Print Post

Take a peek at http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

you might see some actual speed test results near to where you are buying. Given the postcode I can also do another check - email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com if you don't want to post the postcode.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-May-13 17:19:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by reech23:
The £22 quote from Sky included line rental, I think it was £14.50 line rental plus £7.50

Everything about the house is perfect for us, we just didn't check this out in advance as we assumed being in the centre of Cambridge it would be in a cable area. My main problem I guess is not knowing what speed is actually needed for the types of thing that we do online :/ as it's looking like we are stuck with getting around 3Mb.
3Mbps in the centre of Cambridge, I cannot belive it, somethings wrong there surely.

You put the new house post code in Samknows and it will tell you what is available at your new house exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Click on checker locality and it will give the distance to new house exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

For EE estimated speed you enter your post code. It just stated my speed is 8 Mbps but I get 11 Mbps. wink

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home;jsessionid=E03AB0EC0...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 20-May-13 17:39:31)

Standard User reech23
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 18:04:15
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link

It seems we are 1.96km from the exchange, right on the edge of the green dots. Looks like we are about as far away as we could be frown
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 20-May-13 18:21:08
Print Post

2.5km of wire will give you at least 6M, so it depends on routing.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to