General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Youngy
(member) Tue 28-May-13 16:50:22
Print Post

Buying new house, when order phone/broadband?

[link to this post]

In the process of buying a house, have exchanged contracts but not due for completion until 28th June (seller's chain)

Given that the current owners will be there until the 28th at what point can I order phone/broadband from BT so that its enabled as close to my move in date as possible. But obviously sale hasn't completed yet. What have others done in the past? Can I order from BT online and ask for enabling on completion day?

(I'm not currently a customer as living with family)

BTInfinity 2
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-May-13 17:11:32
Print Post

Re: Buying new house, when order phone/broadband?

[re: Youngy] [link to this post]

I would definitely call them up and ask all of these questions. Although I see no reason why you can't order it for when you move in - afterall it's your house then.

I would do it all via the phone though as it might require a new line install etc.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 28-May-13 17:38:26
Print Post

Order it to go live on the 28th or sooner if you can get the consent of the people you are buying from.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 08:44:33
Print Post

Does the seller have a phone line? If they do and you plan to take it over then you won't be able to order until after they have cancelled - that is normally move day.

There is the possibility of using 3G for a short time whilst the broadband is sorted. I was able to get a decent speed on three when I moved so was able to use that for the couple of weeks it took to get broadband setup.
Standard User Youngy
(member) Wed 29-May-13 17:17:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When selling my old house I received a letter from BT advising the new owners were taking over the line.

With my new house I know the current owners have the phone line with Sky. But I'll be ordering with BT.

Would rather order online for Quidco cashback, guess will have to order and then phone BT to confirm.

I've got an O2 3G dongle so can always use as a gap filler.
Thanks for replies

BTInfinity 2
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-May-13 17:44:05
Print Post

Does the dongle get 3G there though!? o2 and 3G shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 29-May-13 17:44:13)

Print Thread

Jump to