General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Goldy73
(newbie) Wed 29-May-13 08:06:24
Print Post

House Moving, HELP !!

[link to this post]

Hi guys, long time follower on Twitter, finally signed up to the forum smile

Once upon a time I lived in Guildford with glorious Virgin Media Fiber broadband at 50mb.

Then I got in a relationship with my better half who eventually I moved in with in Cranleigh.

My Broadband went from 50 to 6.5mb in that move.... Cranleigh eventually moved up to 14mb but I digress, we moved house to West Horsley connected to the East Horsley exchange (according to Samknows.com) which had brought me down to 2mb, at this speed (which I'm sure I'm not getting) I can't watch iPlayer for instance without....a.....lot.....of....buffering.....pauses.

The Horsley move is a temporary one hence I didn't really mind as the plan was to move again and THERE I would have my beloved virgin broadband back.......

Only it's not quite gone like that, we're currently eyeing up a property in Send (GU23 7EJ is the post code) seemingly connected to the Clandon exchange which (as if it were possible) is WORSE than the East Horsley one.

The place looks lovely but I seem to be moving in for want of a better word the Bermuda triangle of Surrey's Broadband service.

Is there ANY way to find out what kind of plans anyone has to bring it up to spec with the rest of surrey or do I just have to sit and pray or get a petition somehow (if we do move there) to show that people with internet needs DO live in these areas ?

Please say there is.

Yours in desperation..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-May-13 08:38:42
Print Post

Re: House Moving, HELP !!

[re: Goldy73] [link to this post]

Try http://www.superfastsurrey.org.uk/

That should give a rough idea, looking at other maps, FTTC may be close but not close enough already, and on 2012 data Ofcom has you were slow
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/postcode/checker.php
at an average of 2.3 Mbps across the postcode.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Goldy73
(newbie) Wed 29-May-13 09:14:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cool thankyou for that information, it seems that there is light upon the horizon as the superfast site is saying it will be available by the end of the year.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 16:25:59
Print Post

[re: Goldy73] [link to this post]

i think that I would be patient and wait until I was actually in the property as these things have a habit of not going to plan. When telephone/broadband installations go wrong, they can go very wrong and leave you in limbo for some time.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User Routefinder
(experienced) Thu 20-Jun-13 22:35:16
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

As someone who is currently on the Clandon exchange I found this thread interesting especially in regard to the "SuperfastSurrey" website.

Though to date none of the publicly available BT Wholesale/OR info even places Clandon on the planned list the SuperfastSurrey site infers that extra money is being pumped in to get FTTC sorted out in the blackspots of which Clandon is one.

To date there are no signs of any activity on the ground so for the PostCode checker to say "you will get it by the end of the year" is wonderfull but IMO mis-leading....................which year are they referring to wink as the step by step plan that OR have to go through I surmise will not change i.e. once they say it will happen it will be nigh on 15 months to get the service frown

Still I await to be surprised that the SuperfastSurrey 'element' of extra funding will accelerate the process...........................but I will not hold my breath :lol:
(experienced) Thu 20-Jun-13 22:51:26
Print Post

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

Just out of interest I wondered where the OP was looking and the Post Code he states looking at Google maps is quite an eye opener in that 'he' is not that far from an FTTC cabinet that is on the Woking exchange..........................so for him and his neighbours it is a pity that OR do not see fit to do what is surely relatively lower cost of copper wiring a few more homes at that end of the village to that FTTC cabinet wink

But heh ho, what looks simple is never quite so simple...........................!

PS as the crow flies I make it approx. 2200 feet

Edited by Routefinder (Thu 20-Jun-13 22:53:22)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jun-13 09:42:14
Print Post

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

There are some slightly different elements to the BDUK projects that change the way the timescales work...

First, the exchanges that haven't been touched before tend to be smaller. They are unlikely to end up with their own "head-end" equipment, and will instead be a child to a parent elsewhere that has already been converted.

So, any exchange-based work is likely to have already happened, or be needed somewhere else - where it is probably pooled with the work for quite a few new child exchanges.

Second is that a lot of the "behind-the-scenes" work can start as the detailed plans become further advanced. In Surrey's case, the contract was signed in September 2012, over 9 months ago, and the first details published 4 months ago. That is plenty of time to get the "production line" for getting cabinets on the ground and wired up, and to be running the exchange-based upgrade projects.

Finally is the fact that Surrey was pretty early in the BDUK process, and has very early deadlines compared to most. BT have to be hitting those deadlines - because the people are needed on the other projects that are following behind.

After all, in February, they stated that two-thirds of the FTTC deployment would be done in 12 months. The target was 15k properties by Sept/13, and 55k properties by March/14.
(experienced) Fri 21-Jun-13 11:02:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
There are some slightly different elements to the BDUK projects that change the way the timescales work...

First, the exchanges that haven't been touched before tend to be smaller. They are unlikely to end up with their own "head-end" equipment, and will instead be a child to a parent elsewhere that has already been converted.

So, any exchange-based work is likely to have already happened, or be needed somewhere else - where it is probably pooled with the work for quite a few new child exchanges.

Second is that a lot of the "behind-the-scenes" work can start as the detailed plans become further advanced. In Surrey's case, the contract was signed in September 2012, over 9 months ago, and the first details published 4 months ago. That is plenty of time to get the "production line" for getting cabinets on the ground and wired up, and to be running the exchange-based upgrade projects.

Finally is the fact that Surrey was pretty early in the BDUK process, and has very early deadlines compared to most. BT have to be hitting those deadlines - because the people are needed on the other projects that are following behind.

After all, in February, they stated that two-thirds of the FTTC deployment would be done in 12 months. The target was 15k properties by Sept/13, and 55k properties by March/14.

Many thanks for the insight..............I have looked at the BDUK site and links for with the Google Spreadsheet and it shows Surrey as "In delivery" so looks very positive and I surmise just(?) down to how they phase the steps at each exchange as appropriate.

FWIW I emailed Surreysuperfast BB and asked for any clarification on the "this year" reported when I did a search with our Post Code, so I await I hope at least an acknowledgement of my question???

PS I know what green cabinet I am connected to so unless under the "child/parent" structure you mention any FTTC cabinet would not get placed where my cabinet but maybe the next one down the chain (assuming that is the structure hereabouts?) I await to see when they start to fit FTTC cabinet adjacent to it smile

Edited by Routefinder (Fri 21-Jun-13 12:20:16)

Print Thread

Jump to