General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Wed 29-May-13 19:55:57
Print Post

Zen New Connection Problem

[link to this post]

On my recommendation an elderly friend has ordered a new broadband connect to his farmhouse from Zen. I use Zen Office and have always been impressed with their staff.

.After five days he contacted Zen to see if the connection was now live. Apparently Openreach are unwilling to connect as they have a different postcode YO62 4EL for his telephone number to his address postcode YO62 4EG. He asked if they could connect anyway and ignore the postcode but they aren't willing to do that in case it is a different property. He has contacted his telephone people, One Bill Telecom, they agree that Openreach has a different postcode but aren't interested in doing anything as the phone line is working and they aren't supplying the broadband.

I have tried the post codes in GoogleEarth, 4EG comes up correctly, 4EL just shows the whole YO62 area, also the Postcode checker comes up with nothing for 4EL.

I am going to ring Zen tomorrow to try and help him out.

In the mean time any suggestions gratefully received.
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 30-May-13 09:29:11
Print Post

Re: Zen New Connection Problem

[re: agkq62] [link to this post]

Just been pondering on this before I ring Zen.

Would it be better to cancel the Zen order (assuming he can do that as it hasn't gone live) and then order through BT or his telephone provider?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-May-13 09:38:05
Print Post

The problem here seems to be 2 different sides of Openreach. The voice-line side won't change the postcode without the voice provider getting involved, while the broadband side of Openreach won't accept an order until something is done with the voice line.

This is an issue with BT's database, even if you aren't getting help from your phone provider to solve the problem.

The solution, presumably, is to either
a) force BT to make the change without getting either the voice provider or broadband provider involved. Best option is to email the CEO (Ian Livingstone)

b) move phone line from existing provider to one that promises to sort out the issue, then order broadband.

c) move phone line and new broadband order to a single supplier that promises to sort out the issue.

Going down the last 2 paths is really best if you can involve an ISP with a decent support team.

You could do broadband through his phone provider, but why reward them for obstinately refusing to help in the first place?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 30-May-13 14:05:15
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Havings spoken to Zen you have summed the situation up correctly. One Bill Telecom are the only ones who can change the postcode as they control the line. Sadly as they aren't willing to do that his only option appears to be to cancel and go with them for the broadband.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 30-May-13 15:26:09
Print Post

What about switching to Zen for his landline?

Any company that can't be bothered to help really doesn't deserve his business.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-May-13 19:11:03
Print Post

We used to see this all the time, as long as they match all is good.
How you need to move forward, you need to find out what TAGS says the postcode is, then place the order with the postcode that is listed as the one BT Openreach has, once the service is live then the phone provider should change it (if they can't be bothered then you need a new phone provider)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-May-13 21:05:42
Print Post

I agree with the others - if at all possible, change the phone provider. They don't deserve the money.

Obviously that depends on the minimum contract terms.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-May-13 23:04:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by agkq62:
Havings spoken to Zen you have summed the situation up correctly. One Bill Telecom are the only ones who can change the postcode as they control the line. Sadly as they aren't willing to do that his only option appears to be to cancel and go with them for the broadband.
You think he should go along with what amounts to blackmail?

Do they still have the 42-day notice period and a renewing contract?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 12:35:17
Print Post

Thanks for all your helpfull replies.

I have been on to his telephone provider, as it seemed only they could do something, an hour on hold and through three help desks, finally they realised I wasn't going away and have agreed to change the code.

I agree totally on your comments about One Bill Tetecoms.

Edited by agkq62 (Fri 31-May-13 12:37:25)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 13:54:34
Print Post

An hour on hold? What did the guy/gal do, go to dinner?

Anyway, I doff my cap to you, you have a lot more patience than I have.

Nick
  Print Thread

Jump to