General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 14:03:55
Print Post

DLM really is black magic

[link to this post]

After months of having a [censored] connection (I will not go through again what I have had done/tested/changed routers/engineers out etc.), and after being stuck on a 4Mb cap with a sync rate of 2300 for at least 60 days, 5 days ago the router disconnected, reconnected at 5200!

WOW, here we go I thought. But then saw it was only on ADSL1. Oh well, that is better than I had.

I have had 3 disconnects since then at night (same old problem), but it stayed on the same sync rate(ish).

Today, whilst decorating, I moved my router without realising I was standing on the power cable (wires everywhere!) and pulled it out. Crikey!

After checking when it came back up, suddenly I am now sync'ed at 6500 odd, and back on ADSL2+.

Before, any disconnection like that I was immediately pushed back to the 4Mb cap.

It certainly _is_ black magic stuff.

Nick
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-May-13 17:55:31
Print Post

Re: DLM really is black magic

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Just shows that if you know you can/should go faster, don´t heed the advice to just wait and hope for it to catch up; just keep rebooting till you get what you want. Just don´t do it too often.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-May-13 23:08:23
Print Post

Re: DLM really is black magic

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

If power and signal cables are close together there can be trouble, and having them running parallel is worst. If they have to cross it is best at right angles. It could be you have now "adjusted" their relative positions.

It doesn't need to be the power cable for the device - any power cable does the same.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to