General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fearby
(committed) Sat 01-Jun-13 22:01:51
Print Post

How to get a new phone line - to use bonded ADSL?

[link to this post]

I live in a fairly rural area and have only 2.34 Mbps on a good day so was wondering about getting another line and using bonded ADSL.

Do I get the line installed via my ISP or ring BT and try to put up with the inevitable long delay to get to speak to the right person?
How much is it likely to cost?

Edited by fearby (Sat 01-Jun-13 22:02:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Jun-13 22:14:07
Print Post

Re: How to get a new phone line - to use bonded ADSL?

[re: fearby] [link to this post]

You need the line installed by whoever you want to pay the voice line rental too. This might be the person providing the broadband or it might be BT or any other WLR provider

Cost free to £125 depending on the deals you can strike

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fearby
(committed) Sat 08-Jun-13 10:04:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thanks - I have my doubts that it will be as simple as that however as we live so far from the exchange and there are probably not any spare copper lines going in the near vicinity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 18:47:37
Print Post

find an ISP that will bond on your existing line and a new one. Check with them that if you order a 2nd telephone line with your existing supplier that they can then supply a bonded BB line on that. If yes ask your existing provider for a new line. If it works then you can then order the bonded service.

IanD
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 19:06:15
Print Post

I live in the DEAD centre of Pompey (one mile from exchange), and (after BT engineer tests/re-wiring, changing cables, routers, plugs, filters, doing the co-co, rain-dance, 'walk-like-an-egyptian' head-banging and morris-dancing) I still can only get get a sync at @3072 that disconnects every other day so the DLM keeps it low all the time.

I wish I lived in the sticks... at least I would have a nice garden.

Nick
Standard User PhilDWorcs
(newbie) Tue 11-Jun-13 16:42:44
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Hello,

If you ask BT to provide you with a quotation for broadband they should be able to indicate if sufficient copper pairs exist for an additional line to be installed.

You will need to budget for line rental and broadband costs for the contract duration plus, perhaps, installation costs. There are great deals on broadband at the moment which include free installation and reduced or free broadband costs for a specific time-period.

Do look for bonded broadband that does not tie you to a specific ISP. This gives you choice in terms of cost and provides some resilience against failure in a particular ISP's network.

Also, do ensure you look at bonded broadband as opposed to broadband load sharing solutions, they are very different!

Hope this helps.

Phil
www.velocomms.com
Standard User Ev_Networks
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:54:58
Print Post

[re: PhilDWorcs] [link to this post]

Getting different ISP's lines installed and then bonding on the top sounds good in theory, but it does mean you completely lose control of the entire connection.

Trying to diagnose where a bonded ADSL problem is and whether its with the internet transit or core bonding hardware (which has to go through one supplier) or the box itself (which you may or may not own or have configured) or one or more of the individual lines is a nightmare.

It's far better to have everything end to end with one supplier to reduce the latency and jitter in general, and also mean the buck stops with that bonded ADSL supplier.

You can bond over the internet, but the path the data takes is far from in anyone's control, so it just makes more sense to do it within an ISP's network.

While you're at it, go for one that doesn't contend their lines! Why take a line that slows down and combine it with another that slows down. Contention and bonding don't mix!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Dec-13 17:19:10
Print Post

[re: Ev_Networks] [link to this post]

tongue
Seeing as:

- the last post by the OP was Tue 11-Jun-13;
- in the IDNet thread Sun 21-Apr-13;
- in the Zen thread take your pick of the one you replied to Sun 26-May-13 or the last post Sat 22-Jun-13,

you do seem to be trying a little over-eagerly to get your sig seen, whatever the quality of your advice, having been absent yourselves since your only previous seven posts on 6-7 August 2012.

Your other post today is of course fine smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to