General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:11:15
Print Post

BT Yahoo dial-up to close.

[link to this post]

I have just had an email from Btinternet (BT Yahoo) saying that the dial-up service will be discontinued on 1st Sept 2013.

I have kept my dial-up account as a backup and because in the past I have had to make the occasional connection to keep the email account active.

The email recommends transferring to Plusnet if I want to continue to have a dial up account.

Michael Chare
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-13 12:26:11
Print Post

Re: BT Yahoo dial-up to close.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yeah! I still have my standby dial-up account with Plusnet for Free-Online and it is still working. wink

https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User professor973
(committed) Wed 05-Jun-13 12:31:16
Print Post

My ISP does an Emergency dial-up service that anyone can use. No need to switch ISP and handy for sorting problems of BB loss from your ISP.
http://emergencyinternet.com/
http://freeola.com/dial-up-internet/

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Wed 05-Jun-13 12:33:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 12:32:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The email recommends transferring to Plusnet if I want to continue to have a dial up account.
BT recommending PN? Is that kosher? They could have recommended O2 for a permanent mailbox.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 05-Jun-13 12:39:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
BT recommending PN? Is that kosher? They could have recommended O2 for a permanent mailbox.
BT own Plusnet, Sky own O2. BT are unlikely to recommend a competitor - especially that one wink

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:11:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You've misunderstood! Sky are not the owners of O2 Mobile who are the sole purveyors of O2 mailboxes even for O2/SHC BB (at present).

My point was should BT be recommending another ISP, which they happen to own, when it can be considered as anti-competitive.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 05-Jun-13 13:12:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:18:35
Print Post

Did it specifically recommend PlusNet, or did it say your ISP and that happens to be PlusNet?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:38:49
Print Post

So you think O2 aren't a competitor? Why shouldn't BT recommend Plusnet as they own them?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:39:01
Print Post

But this has nothing to do with mailboxes but access to a dial up service.

And I doubt that it can be considered anti-competative since there are so few dial up customers left.

Suggesting that they use PN is at least pointing them somewhere to go rather than saying we're shutting up shop go look elesewhere.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:51:58
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
But this has nothing to do with mailboxes but access to a dial up service.
Not entirely nothing, but many peeps retain a dial-up service solely to have a free mailbox. My family have free Orange dial-up a/c's, which they never use as such, in order to have their own mailboxes separate from mine own which comes with the BB service.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to