General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Sun 16-Jun-13 22:59:27
Print Post

Wireless problem - help please!

[link to this post]

Hello,

Am running a Dell Optiplex GX270 [XP Pro] with a Belkin Surf USB Wireless Adapter N150. My router is a Netgear ADSL Firewall Router DG834G v3.

By way of ethernet cable connection I have checked all the router settings by logging into 192.168 and they all look fine except under 'Router Status' where the DOMAIN NAME SERVER numbers differ to what works on my other computer.

Also, the DOWNSTREAM CONNECTION SPEED is different - should be 18951 kbps but through the Optiplex this comes out as 17812 kbps.

I can't find any window anywhere to reconfigure the Domain Name Server number. Is this what is preventing the Optiplex from going wireless please?

Many thanks,

KR
Standard User ryant704
(member) Sun 16-Jun-13 23:23:01
Print Post

Re: Wireless problem - help please!

[re: kr236rk] [link to this post]

Domain Name Server is just a server that translate's a websites URL to an IP address, this won't have any effect on the speed coming into your home.

Okai, I just want to check something here as something doesn't seem to be right.

On your desktop PC which is connected with Ethernet when you view your line stats via 192.168.1.1(254) it reports a downstream speed of 18951kbps?

Then when you check again but connected wireless it shows 17812kbps?

Is this the same computer? The only real reason I can see happening is due to cache files or cookies, try clearing them and try again (I doubt this will fix it). If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jun-13 23:39:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by kr236rk:
Also, the DOWNSTREAM CONNECTION SPEED is different - should be 18951 kbps but through the Optiplex this comes out as 17812 kbps.
Are you confusing connection/sync speed shown by router with throughput/speedtest seen at PC?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 01:07:02
Print Post

XP often needs to be optimised to attain good performance. DNS should usually be set to "Automatically Obtained" on each machine.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-13 02:27:23
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Thanks, no - it's two different computers. One is right on top of the router so I keep it plugged in with the ethernet cable, but the other one is in another room, so I bought the Belkin wireless adapter for it, but I can't get the adapter to link to the router - something is blocking it.

The first pc has the 18k speed, the second pc that I want to go wireless is at 17k - they're both connected by ethernet at the moment.
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-13 02:28:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Are you confusing connection/sync speed shown by router with throughput/speedtest seen at PC?

The figures are what appear on the Netgear page.
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-13 02:30:47
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
XP often needs to be optimised to attain good performance. DNS should usually be set to "Automatically Obtained" on each machine.

Cool, I'll check that in the morning wink
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 03:05:52
Print Post

May seem a daft question -

Do you see the same SSID (WiFi circuit name) at each computer, under the different connection conditions?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:10:55
Print Post

Thanks, no - it's two different computers. One is right on top of the router so I keep it plugged in with the ethernet cable, but the other one is in another room, so I bought the Belkin wireless adapter for it, but I can't get the adapter to link to the router - something is blocking it.

The first pc has the 18k speed, the second pc that I want to go wireless is at 17k - they're both connected by ethernet at the moment.
I use Windows XP Pro, have you configured the Belkin Surf USB Wireless Adapter N150 correctly with IP address 192.168.0.6

Netgear DG834G v3 router IP address 192.168.0.1

Computer Dell Optiplex GX270 [XP Pro] IP address 192.168.0.2

Computer in other room IP address 192.168.0.3

http://support.netgear.com/product/DG834Gv3

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support-product?rnId=5434

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 17-Jun-13 10:49:58)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:16:45
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

The DG834G can be set to limit which MAC addresses can be connected from wireless. It is possible that a restriction has been set in the router. It could also be something incompatible with the security settings - perhaps the router has an old firmware that might have an issue with WPA or WPA2 with some network cards.

Uprading the firmware would be a good start. Cheding the mac address filtering in the router (can't remember exactly where, been a while) would also be good.

What is weird is the suggestion the router is reporting different sync rates from 2 different machines both connected by wired ethernet. This should be absolutely impossible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to