General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User turbodeas
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:14:02
Print Post

First Post - Hi! and TalkTalk speed.

[link to this post]

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, after a little bit of lurking and searching smile

Anyway, I have just moved house and unfortunately had to give up my cracking Virgin 30Meg Unlimited service for an ADSL connection. I'm reasonably tech-savvy, (broadcast engineer by trade), so did some research as to what my line might be like, and it all looked good. I decided to go with TalkTalk Plus TV package, and was hoping to get speeds close to the 20meg mark as I'm almost next door to the exchange.

BT Wholesale (well, Kelly Group) came to install my phoneline, which all went fine, and I connected up my new Huawei HG533 router to the master socket - no problems at all.

I have already removed the Ringwire from my flat's phone system in a bid to squeeze the most out of my broadband.

So, connection looks like this:

ADSL line speed (kbps): up 695 down 14752
Line attentuation (dB): up 4.9 down 11.0
SN margin (dB): up 14.9 down 14.2

Which is fine, and totally usable - I'm sure it's a lot better than other people in the country can get!

However, the upstream especially looks very limited - I was hoping to be able to set up some sort of VPN so I can stream media from my own little NAS, but with 695kbps of upstream bandwidth it might be quite tricky. From what I have gathered, my stats look like I could get faster somehow?

What do others think? I live in a new build (5 year old) small block of flats, and my attenuation looks pretty decent....

Does Talktalk 'train' the line, and am I being impatient?

Cheers,

Turbs.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-13 21:18:02
Print Post

Re: First Post - Hi! and TalkTalk speed.

[re: turbodeas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by turbodeas:
So, connection looks like this:

ADSL line speed (kbps): up 695 down 14752
Line attentuation (dB): up 4.9 down 11.0
SN margin (dB): up 14.9 down 14.2

If you have the TalkTalk tv service, talktalk will deliberately put you on a slower profile in order to give bandwidth preference to the tv service. Register on the TT forums (if not already registered) and ask a TalkTalk OCE to put you on a "24FSNR6" profile - this will lower your SNR to 6db and also put you on a fastpath profile for lower pings. This should give you sync speeds of 20 meg at least and most probably give you a 1020 kbps upstream sync as well.

There is no such thing as a training period on TT LLU, though there is DLM wihich can be switched off if requested via the forums.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 22-Jun-13 22:49:33
Print Post

have you tried it in the test socket of the master ?

Here's an exchange neighbour's stats :-

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 19760 kbps 1212 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.5 dB 6.5 dB
Noise Margin 7.8 dB 9.9 dB

which I would say is about a 9 dB target margin whereas yours looks more like 15.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User turbodeas
(newbie) Sun 23-Jun-13 22:59:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks both,

That's really helpful.

@Yarwell: I am already connected to the master socket, and I have removed the ring wire from my phone circuit in order to squeeze every last inch out of my service!

@baby_frogmella: I will give that a try - definitely would like my upload to be around the 1meg mark, and I'm pretty confident my line can do it given the right profile from Talktalk.

Just another question, you mention that talktalk does not train but uses DLM.....Are they able to disable the DLM? I would rather have a speedy, slightly less stable connection - and tbh I'm not too bothered about the TV as I wanted it more to use as a PVR than any of the on demand stuff!!

Cheers,

Turbs.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 23-Jun-13 23:30:19
Print Post

I am already connected to the master socket

Did I not say test socket ? if not, that's what I meant - it removes your wiring from the equation to see if the sync speed improves.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-13 08:36:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If you have the TalkTalk tv service, talktalk will deliberately put you on a slower profile in order to give bandwidth preference to the tv service

Is talktalk's TV service not IP based? If it is then that statement would seem odd as they would want to maximise connection rate in order to get as much bandwidth as possible, The higher the connection speed the more bandwidth available to IPTV.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 24-Jun-13 14:45:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
If you have the TalkTalk tv service, talktalk will deliberately put you on a slower profile in order to give bandwidth preference to the tv service

Is talktalk's TV service not IP based? If it is then that statement would seem odd as they would want to maximise connection rate in order to get as much bandwidth as possible, The higher the connection speed the more bandwidth available to IPTV.

From reading the TT forums, it appears that existing TT customers who have upgraded to the TV service have had their speeds reduced ie been put on a slower profile. According to the TT OCE's this is to ensure that the TV service runs smoothly especially for those on lower sync speeds.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to