General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User roscoe7942
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 10:51:48
Print Post

Powerdown units

[link to this post]

Hope I am in the right section for this post I have a question If I use a powerdown unit that plugs into the 13amp socket will it affect the router if the router powers down and only powers up again after switching on the computer. Thanks in anticipation
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Jun-13 11:27:24
Print Post

Re: Powerdown units

[re: roscoe7942] [link to this post]

For ADSL/FTTC services powering down and switching on the router a lot may make the automatic control systems think your service is unstable and slow you down.

A single switch off and on per day is usually fine, but if heading towards 5 to 10 per day then the risk is worse.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 27-Jun-13 16:29:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I still thinks its stupid that in this day and age we are forced to keep electrical goods on when not in use.
DLM is trying to punish us tree huggers with its witch craft....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jul-13 09:50:38
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iwish:
I still thinks its stupid that in this day and age we are forced to keep electrical goods on when not in use.
DLM is trying to punish us tree huggers with its witch craft....

While I hated DLM when I had it with BT, I can't see the problem in keeping a router on for the amount of power it takes is minimal. Ok if you are on FTTC then you got a router and modem, but it is still minimal.

My modem is on the roof and the router under my Tv, i got to keep them on as my home phone is linked to them. the only time they will go off is when I go away for a few days.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 03-Jul-13 10:25:33
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Ok if you are on FTTC then you got a router and modem, but it is still minimal.
You don't need to keep the router powered up, only the modem. DLM isn't interested in whether you have a data connection or not, only whether it can maintain sync.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jul-13 23:18:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
You don't need to keep the router powered up, only the modem. DLM isn't interested in whether you have a data connection or not, only whether it can maintain sync.

That is true, forgot about that.

I am glad I don't have to worry about DLM, i have been told that Bt version of it have been improved, it would have to be because when i was on Bt it was naff.

My modem is on the roof, still powered mind you via the Ethernet cable and a adapter.

Adrian

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jul-13 20:41:56
Print Post

just as well for me as the power just went off for 15mins and now back on again. Took all of the services about 5mins to resync and work again

IanD
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 05-Jul-13 22:12:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by billford:

That is true, forgot about that.

I am glad I don't have to worry about DLM, i have been told that Bt version of it have been improved, it would have to be because when i was on Bt it was naff.

My modem is on the roof, still powered mind you via the Ethernet cable and a adapter.

Why is your modem on the roof may I ask, do you find it works better at higher altitude? smile

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 06-Jul-13 08:45:25
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

he's on a wireless service, so "my receiver is on the roof" perhaps gives a better picture.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Jul-13 10:59:31
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
just as well for me as the power just went off for 15mins and now back on again. Took all of the services about 5mins to resync and work again

According to the blurb that came with my broadband, it takes 10 mins, but it never have.
My mates FTTC connection, take 15 mins to sort itself out, in fact we have found it is best to switch it all off again and start the modem first before the router, other wise it can fail.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to