General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FordStanza
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:12:34
Print Post

Why do people need superfast connection?

[link to this post]

I'm just curious about why people need superfast broadband.

If you can get a decent ADSL2+ connection, then why do people need or choose FTTx or whatever? Or are people choosing Fibre mainly because their alternative copper connection is dodgy?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify...
Standard User somerset
(committed) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:15:41
Print Post

Re: Why do people need superfast connection?

[re: FordStanza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FordStanza:
I'm just curious about why people need superfast broadband.

If you can get a decent ADSL2+ connection, then why do people need or choose FTTx or whatever? Or are people choosing Fibre mainly because their alternative copper connection is dodgy?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify...

Faster uploads.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:17:41
Print Post

I have two teenage kids, between the three of us, we can now all be streaming in HD with no hiccups.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:17:57
Print Post

For those getting 12 Meg or more from Adsl2+ then it is a harder cost to justify but as many dont the upgrade to superfast can mean hd streaming is now possible and uploading to cloud services is a lot easiet.

Also support for more people watching tv streams

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:32:28
Print Post

As has been said faster uploads can be a big plus, I upload lots to youtube. Currently I am not on Fibre so can only upload at 0.30meg so I go to my parents to upload videos which is a complete pain. My download is rubbish as well though 1.9 frown cant wait for fibre!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:32:50
Print Post

A single user will find it hard to justify if already getting 10Mbps+ ... I know I'll find it hard to justify and have just started a new contract for ADSL2+ (but then what ex-O2 customer could turn down free Sky unlimited broadband and TV for a year?). Also FTTC doesn't seem to be happening here ... delay after delay even with permission now granted for the cabinet's location.

For households with multiple users it starts to become a necessity, especially if ADSL speeds are low.

Those that need a decent upload will also take the jump to FTTC when available.

I suppose some of it is the same as cars the limit on the motorway is 70Mph but the average new car will do 120Mph+. What is the point in that???

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User FordStanza
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:50:50
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Great answers everyone - thanks! I'd overlooked the multi-bod households and the upload advantages. I'm pretty much a download-only guy who's been happy with my near 8Mb connection and just about to upgrade to ADSL2+ so I was curious as to what people do with fibre. Now I know...
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jun-13 20:16:10
Print Post

Re: Why do people need superfast connection? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User robertdelamare
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 21:01:24
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
Being on the 'net since 1995 with a 33.6kbs modem,

Nick
P.S. when I was a kid, there was no mobile phones/internet - so when I went out for hours on end to play football, cycle or whatever, my parents never knew where I was or what I was up to - but it didn't matter.

33.6kbps! Luxury! My first modem was 28.8 kbps but the local Compuserv number only served at 14.4. If you wanted faster you had to dial London at the premium rate. But you are dead right about getting out and about as a kid. Very few even had phones at home. I remember calling a neighbour (phone boxes had directories in them those days) and asking her to tell my Mum I wouldn't be home as I was camping on Box Hill.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 26-Jun-13 21:03:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by FordStanza:
why do people need or choose FTTx or whatever?
Because I can grin

Nothing wrong with wanting more than the minimum that will allow you to perform any particular task.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to