General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 06-Jul-13 10:18:29
Print Post

"National Audit Office reports on rural broadband projects"

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5910-national-aud...

I noticed the BBC's article on the whole thing, and some of the first comments you see, seem strange to me. Just me?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23173157

Never mind rural customers. I'm about 5 miles from the city centre, but since I'm on an exchange only line (no cabinet, wired straight to the exchange) and about 4-5 miles from the exchange I'm lucky to get 2Mbs, and paying a premium for that.

So the one over the many or few.

For those who don't understand why we need fast broadband, let me explain. You cannot move your business to the Cloud, which is where business is now being pushed, with very slow upload and download speeds. You may have 5Meg download but if the upload is only 800k, that's as fast as it is. Most companies internal networks connect with their internal servers at a 1Gigabit speed, not 800k!

Surely if your business is in 'the cloud' it's a hosted solution, and if there are massive regular uploads to 'the cloud', there's something amiss with the business practice? How many businesses have massive, daily uploads, and can't afford to pay for FTTP, or at least a line-bonding solution?

I wish the Beeb would allow voting on their comments after they close the article to new ones.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.

Edited by camieabz (Sat 06-Jul-13 10:18:51)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 06-Jul-13 11:14:34
Print Post

Re: "National Audit Office reports on rural broadband projec

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I wish the Beeb would allow voting on their comments after they close the article to new ones.

Would be even better if they left them open for a reasonable time. That article was posted yesterday morning and comments closed in te afternoon. Anyone at work would not have had much of a chance to read and comment.

I have glanced through and some of te comments are total rubbish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 06-Jul-13 11:33:06
Print Post

Re: "National Audit Office reports on rural broadband projec

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

like "Any Answers" I find these comment things just attract the mentally disturbed and socially challenged.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to