General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tjbp
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 14:50:18
Print Post

Does a leased line use a "normal" landline?

[link to this post]

Our house used to be divided between two tenants, each with their own landline. Now we're here we've combined the property again and are using one of the landlines for phone and broadband, while the other is still connected up (has a dial tone) though we don't pay line rental on it or anything.

Could we use the additional landline as a dedicated internet-only line (for an increased speed over ADSL2+)? Is this what a leased line is?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:09:29
Print Post

Re: Does a leased line use a "normal" landline?

[re: tjbp] [link to this post]

Leased lines are usually a dedicated fibre or multiple copper pairs to a property

A guide price can be found via http://clueless.aa.net.uk/etherquote.cgi

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:34:38
Print Post

No reason why you could not use it, but you will still need to pay line rental on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:36:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by tjbp:
Our house used to be divided between two tenants, each with their own landline. Now we're here we've combined the property again and are using one of the landlines for phone and broadband, while the other is still connected up (has a dial tone) though we don't pay line rental on it or anything.

Could we use the additional landline as a dedicated internet-only line (for an increased speed over ADSL2+)? Is this what a leased line is?

To reply to your question simply, the 2nd line is still a Landline & if you wish to use it for Broadband you will need to pay Line Rental (as well as any Broadband Charges), whether you use phone facilities or not.

Whether that could be converted to a Leased-Line, I'm not certain about - but I would expect that you might be concerned over the potential cost (suggest you refer to Mr Saffy's post & associated link).

Regards,
John
Standard User tjbp
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 15:44:51
Print Post

Let me rephrase my question; is there anything faster than ADSL2+ I could use a separate landline for? I'm aware I'd need to pay line rental and any other associated costs. Thanks!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:08:18
Print Post

Yes, Fibre providing your exchange and local cabinet has it.

What exchange?

Do you know the no. of the unused line? If not, try dialling 1470 17070 and it might tell you.

To see if you can get Fibre, FTTC or FTTP, try both nos. in BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-13 16:16:32
Print Post

To answer your question; Leased lines can run over either Copper or Fibre.

What determines it (usually) is whether the copper line has the capability of running the leased line service at the quality and speed at which the customer is ordering. For instance you won't be able to get a leased line service on a 10km copper line.

Fibre is usually used more as far as I know because it is much more future proofed and because it is much more reliable (Less joints to the exchange). It is also capable of much higher speeds than that of copper especially over long distances.

Also Fibre doesn't suffer from crosstalk.

Obviously as you are probably aware leased lines are extremely expensive and the setup fees can be enormous if you don't end up using existing infrastructure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 22494 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.0 db 9.7 db
Noise Margin: 2.6 db 6.7 db

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448Kbps on 20CN Alcatel DSLAM -> 22494/1211Kbps on 21CN Huawei MSAN
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-13 17:13:04
Print Post

Let me rephrase my question; is there anything faster than ADSL2+ I could use a separate landline for? I'm aware I'd need to pay line rental and any other associated costs. Thanks!

Can I further rephrase your question to what I think that you may be asking:-

"If I use a Telephone Landline exclusively for Broadband, is there a version/type/grade of Broadband that will additionally use the Audio Frequency Bands (normally allocated for telephones) that will increase the overall capacity/speed"?

If I've now understood you correctly, then the simple answer is NO!

Regards,
John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Jul-13 17:51:52
Print Post

Assuming you can't get FTTC or FTTP there, (a link has been suggested for checking, but here it is again - use the phone number you are using live), then you could activate the second line to get line bonding or load balancing/sharing.

Google them.

Also have a look at this AAISP page re their line bonding. ISPs don't come much better than them, but unless you fit into their price structure become very expensive.

If you see anything about the ISP Be and line bonding I would be very wary. They've just been bought by Sky and no-one knows what will happen re their line bonding.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 12-Jul-13 17:53:25)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-13 17:57:58
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Not likely!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to