General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Sun 14-Jul-13 08:19:22
Print Post

BT Broadband email problem with own domains.

[link to this post]

I am supposed to be switching to BT Broadband tomorrow, but have been frightened by nightmare stories of those that have their own domains and email addresses and have connection problems when they use them rather than the supplied BT email address.
If my wife has connection problems with her own addresses on her iPad, she will go beserk.
Can anyone confirm that this could be a problem for me. Not my wife, the email.
I'm thinking of trying to cancel the switch over tomorrow if BT let me.
I can not afford to have my emails down.
Help.

Edited by woodroyd (Sun 14-Jul-13 08:21:12)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jul-13 09:05:19
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband email problem with own domains.

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
I am supposed to be switching to BT Broadband tomorrow, but have been frightened by nightmare stories of those that have their own domains and email addresses and have connection problems when they use them rather than the supplied BT email address.
If my wife has connection problems with her own addresses on her iPad, she will go beserk.
Can anyone confirm that this could be a problem for me. Not my wife, the email.
I'm thinking of trying to cancel the switch over tomorrow if BT let me.
I can not afford to have my emails down.
Help.

This is the first that I've heard about such problems & I switched over a few months ago!

Regards,
John
Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Sun 14-Jul-13 09:10:51
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Hi,
Do you use your own email addresses from your private domain?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jul-13 09:16:19
Print Post

I don't recall seeing people complain about this being a problem.

All should be fine if email configured to work using mail providers smtp/pop3/imap servers

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 09:47:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Using your own email address via BT's SMTP servers does present some hurdles. When they change email providers away from Yahoo there may be some other bumps.

But if the SMTP server used on the iPad is provided by the relevant email service provider it should be fine.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jul-13 20:14:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
Hi,
Do you use your own email addresses from your private domain?

Yes, I used a couple of different domain email addresses, each hosted by a totally separate provider - which is NOT BT!

As a pure speculative guess, I wonder if the problems that you have heard about is because people have tried to route their outgoing (non-BT) emails via the BT outgoing Email Server!

If that is the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if they may have problems. Hence ONLY use the outgoing Servers on the actual Host provider!

Regards,
John
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 20:19:14
Print Post

Hence ONLY use the outgoing Servers on the actual Host provider!
Where this works. I'm not up to speed with what BT currently permit but it isn't rare to find port 25 can only use the ISP's servers so if the hosting company doesn't provide other ports and the end user have sufficient clue than you can end up having to use the ISP for SMTP - have had to do this in a few cases.

It only requires that you validate the "other" email address via BT Yahoo currently, but it is more than zero effort.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jul-13 20:38:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Hence ONLY use the outgoing Servers on the actual Host provider!
Where this works. I'm not up to speed with what BT currently permit but it isn't rare to find port 25 can only use the ISP's servers so if the hosting company doesn't provide other ports and the end user have sufficient clue than you can end up having to use the ISP for SMTP - have had to do this in a few cases.

It only requires that you validate the "other" email address via BT Yahoo currently, but it is more than zero effort.

As I indicated, my suggestion was purely speculative, as I've not had a problem!

I could understand if BT blocked non-BT email via their email Servers (as a SPAM prevention measure), but I would have been surprised if they tried to block non-BT emails into other Email Host's Servers!

Certainly I've never "validated" anything via BY Yahoo!

Regards,
John
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 20:43:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
but I would have been surprised if they tried to block non-BT emails into other Email Host's Servers!
Several ISPs block port 25 to outside servers, some do it "transparently" and intercept Port 25 traffic to handle on their own servers.

If the OP is using SMTP servers from his host provider it should be fine, but he would be advised to double check if he / his wife currently uses Port 25 as I don't know if that works or not.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jul-13 23:05:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
In reply to a post by johnjburness:
but I would have been surprised if they tried to block non-BT emails into other Email Host's Servers!
Several ISPs block port 25 to outside servers, some do it "transparently" and intercept Port 25 traffic to handle on their own servers.

If the OP is using SMTP servers from his host provider it should be fine, but he would be advised to double check if he / his wife currently uses Port 25 as I don't know if that works or not.

I've thought it prudent to check my own Email Client & found that it tends to use just one out-going Server for ALL of my Emails, regardless of Domain.

I have to admit that my existing default was NOT using Port 25!

However, I've just changed the default to a Server that did use Port 25 & sent a Test Email. This went through without any problems!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to