General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 15:36:21
Print Post

Which of these filters is best?

[link to this post]

I know the ADSL Nation filters are highly regarded but I do not have one and was wondering if any of these three filters are better than the other or if it's worth getting a ADSL Nation filter.

BT MF50
Z-350UK (Commonly thrown in with a lot of routers because of their size)
ACC-107-012 49/07 (Not sure what this is but it looks like the ADSL Nation filter with big black writing on it. It has an E on it for internet and phone symbol for phone.

Or does it not really matter? Using the last filter with a VDSL HG612 modem in the test socket as I am having some issues so want to see if the cause is the supplied BT socket.

I also have the original BT ADSL v1.0 faceplate to hand.

---
65/18Mbps on Plusnet unlimitedsmile

Edited by Oddball (Wed 17-Jul-13 15:37:29)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 16:01:56
Print Post

Re: Which of these filters is best?

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Do you not have a VDSL faceplate?

ADSL filters will work with VDSL but are not the best solution. They are designed to work at the ADSL frequencies only and at the higher VDSL can present impedances that are way out or phase changes that create problems at the top end. I have changed ADSL filters to VDSL faceplates and seen significant improvements in both upstream and downstream speeds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 16:07:17
Print Post

just use a BT to RJ11 cable and no phone present for the best test. Filters are only for voice devices.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 16:28:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I've just put a RJ11 to BT cable on. sync went down and attainable rates decreased. Not so great. I am sure filters do something to the signal on the DSL side also otherwise why would people buy filters from ADSL Nation etc to improve their speed and connections?

Unless of course you meant for line stats purposes so you get a true indication of errors.

---

Edited by Oddball (Wed 17-Jul-13 16:33:27)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 16:48:26
Print Post

the filters are to isolate interference from and to phone devices. If you don't plug a phone device in there is nothing to improve upon.

If the filtered faceplate has a common mode choke it might achieve something, but that's about it.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:09:41
Print Post

Well I switched to a RJ11 to BT cable in the test socket and my attainable rates fell about 1mbit as well as my sync rates. My SNR dropped slightly too which is why the attainable rates dropped.

Maybe it's this cable though?

EDIT: That cable sucks. Switched back to a filter and previous cable and stats improved again. I have ordered a 1m RJ11 to BT cable to see if it makes any difference. Might have to see about getting one of the more expensive shielded cables as it obviously has some impact on my connection.

---

Edited by Oddball (Wed 17-Jul-13 17:39:28)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 18:05:23
Print Post

some cables RJ11 plugs don't fit especially well, and the odd one is wired differently too. A BT plug to RJ11 socket adaptor is another option, which is all the broadband side of a filter is, however the filter has the other electronics present and connected.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 18:07:54
Print Post

Probably why. My BT to RJ11 has a broken off fastener so does not fit snug in the hole. Also it was a bit long. I have ordered both a 1m BT to RJ11 and a high quality shielded 1m RJ11 to RJ11 from ADSL Nation. I plan on putting the modem on the wall close to the master socket and having as short a cable as possible.

---
  Print Thread

Jump to