General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RBD
(learned) Tue 23-Jul-13 11:56:17
Print Post

Rubbish line stats and sync speeds

[link to this post]

Right folks long story roughly 12 months ago moved to a new property and moved my account to it. For the last 12 months i've been dealing with a poor service that re syncs constantly think it managed 750 re syncs in one day. If the phone rings it would knock out the BB. Worst of all even though the line would sometimes sync at close to 8m my throughput would only be about 0.12m. Have called BT so many times about this issue and they've sent out 3 engineers who apart from 1 haven't found any issues at all. When the engineer did find an issue the line was clear and free from crackle for about 2 days after that its returned to its old self. I live roughly 750 meters from the exchange obviously line length is slightly longer. line stats are as follows
ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:11:30
Downstream: 2.375 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 14.6 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 28.5 dB / 16.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 1
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 463 / 524

When the last engineer came he told me to phone up the broadband help desk to get them to reset my Bras settings i tried this but when the bloke heard the crackle on my line he said he wouldnt do that until the phone line was free from crackle so he escalated the issue again and will call me back today between 12-2.

Any ideas what could be causing my issues and will bt compensate me for not providing me with a service worthy of the price i'm paying each month.

Wannadoo 1meg
Downstream 950 Kbps (118.8 KB/sec) 1026 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 255 Kbps (31.9 KB/sec) 275 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:06:06
Print Post

Re: Rubbish line stats and sync speeds

[re: RBD] [link to this post]

the attenuation suggests 2 km, but signal loss may not be due to distance alone.

Describe what happens after the line enters your premises.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RBD
(learned) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:09:16
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

from the main phone socket goes straight into a microfilter and off to the router and phone distance of less than a meter away. I only have 1 socket in my premises.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:09:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

If line is crackly with no broadband hardware connected and just one corded phone in the test socket, then forget complaining about broadband but report a voice fault to whom you pay voice line rental and once that is fixed should improve on the broadband side.

If brain has had enough coffee, I think this sounds like a class High Resistance (HR) fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RBD
(learned) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:11:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

reported fault as both phone and broadband. When the engineer came and did his checks he couldnt find any fault with the line initially, but he did witness an incoming phone call de syncing the router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:14:22
Print Post

Probably would have worried more about the broadband, if the line is crackly when only the phone is connected just report that and you often get an easier path to getting it fixed, as the engineers often understand the voice only side better.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RBD
(learned) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:25:51
Print Post

just dialed 17070 and did a quiet line test. with the router plugged in, and got a hissing plus what sounded like electrical arching on the line??? sounding more like HR fault???
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:43:07
Print Post

If the router is plugged in then there is a chance the issue is capacitor in a microfilter and the ADSL signal breaking through. Hence why its important to test with no adsl hardware connected at all.

Standard User RBD
(learned) Tue 23-Jul-13 12:57:54
Print Post

right tested with just phone, slight hiss but nowhere near as bad as when adsl is connected. also tried 2 new microfilters and both produce the same hissing arching sound when connectedd with the router.

Edited by RBD (Tue 23-Jul-13 13:06:13)

Standard User RBD
(learned) Fri 26-Jul-13 22:56:46
Print Post

Right another day another engineer (4 so far). But this one may have done the trick he's double checked the connections in the cabinet and so far 14 hours in the bb has been rock solid sync wise except if course when we had a power cut frown

Line stats look a lot better now

Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 10:18:26
Downstream: 7.938 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.9 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 25.5 dB / 14.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Only problem now is slow download speed remains so what you reckon leave it 3 days or call BT and get them to reset BRAS profile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to