General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:31:21
Print Post

Disconnect

[link to this post]

I noticed on the BQM yesterday that overnight/morning there'd been a whole lot of packet loss: sort of like a red frilly line right across the top, but worst betwen 6-10am, and a little more between 8-10pm last night. By 2am the down SNR had dropped to 3.9.

This morning, I see it disconnected just after 6am, and has re-connected at a lower down speed.
For 19 days it had been 8935/1088 with SNR down of 4.8-5.8 , and now it's 7826/1096 with SNR down of 9.6 (been up just under 5 hours).

I assume some noise (or storms?) somewhere caused that, so do I now watch it for a couple of days to see what happens ..perhaps the weather clearing, or unplug it and get a fresh connection?

stats:
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1096
Downstream 7826
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 9.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 27.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.5

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:53:53
Print Post

Re: Disconnect

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

As the SNRM is now high, (check before you do anything), a single re-sync will almost certainly return it to around 6dB or 3dB and give you a higher downstream speed.

It is best done through the router GUI if it has a Disconnect/Reconnect or Reboot button, but off/on, or unplug/replug with a 10-20 second wait in between is OK.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:54:19
Print Post

Storms may have caused enough resyncs to push margin up. Generally if a storm is approaching and sounds bad I unplug from line and switch off expensive kit.

if its right on top of me, obviously don't touch the kit as that is when a strike could arc through me when unplugging kit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-13 12:30:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks.
It's still 9.2 down (6 up) and been up 6 hours now.

I see on the WAN section (Billion 7800n) there's a disconnect button.
I've never used it. Do I just click on it and then it'll re-connect again?

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-13 12:38:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can't say we've heard or seen any storms. We've had some heavy, airless weather the past two days though, and sometimes the cloud has been heavy. Could have been a storm through the small hours that we never heard I suppose.
(I wish it would rain properly and clear the air a bit.)

Probably unrelated, but I saw two largeish Openreach vans nearby perhaps 2-3 days ago.

I do have one of those Belkin surge protect sockets for everything, but likely not foolproof.

Shame - I'd had a good connection for 20 days after getting rid of a poor one that wasn't improving, so I unplugged for a while one bright morning smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-13 13:49:08
Print Post

That WAN disconnect button is the one smile. That is the safest method. When used, it probably changes to a "Connect" button, so wai a few seconds as I suggested.

Or, best of all, is disconnect using the button, then power down the router for 20 seconds. Their OS can get in a mess, just like computer OS's. When you restart it, then it will automatically connect.

As Andrew says, the sync-time margin may have been raised. That's what my "almost certainly" catered for. You won't do any damage with a single reconnect, as I suggested.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-13 14:19:36
Print Post

Thanks.

I tried using just the disconnect button first ..waited around 10 seconds and reconnected: exactly the same.

So then I used the disconnect button again and pulled the plug on the router as you suggested and left it a good 30 seconds.
Plugged back in, it reconected and is almost the same: 7818/1097 and the down SNR 9.3 still. (5.9 up)

Shall I leave it until mid-morning tomorrow and perhaps get a better connection?
Not too bothered about speed as much as the NM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-13 14:31:25
Print Post

Ah well. As Andrew said.

Don't mess any more. It normally takes 10-14 days of a stable connection for the DLM to lower the noise margin again. If and when that happens it should automatically re-sync.

If it does that overnight then a daytime Disconnect/reconnect just using that button should add a bit more to what the overnight one did.

If it hasn't done so after 14 days, then try again as above, and if still no improvement you need to get your ISP to have the noise margin reset.

If happy with the speed, the higher the noise margin the more stable the line. Also the lower the speed the fewer the errors.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 24-Jul-13 14:32:38)

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 24-Jul-13 14:42:10
Print Post

OK - will do. Thanks.

I suspect there's thunder not far away ..very heavy & humid today.
Hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-13 18:11:26
Print Post

These days I tend to ignore thunderstorms, as when with O2 a few disconnections didn't matter. They don't have the BT Wholesale DLM that has got at you. I suppose I should worry now.

However, at one time I used to disconnect and power off. The folk with horror stories in this thread are far from unique. Powering ff the router and unplugging it from the phone line and mains is the recommended procedure. That applies even if the storm is a fair distance away, it can still mess up your DLM even without a strike anywhere nearby.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to