General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Thu 25-Jul-13 09:15:05
Print Post

BT Broadband NIGHTMARE

[link to this post]

After just over a week with BT Broadband I have finally had enough.
Prior to the changeover I had a perfect service from IDNET.
Since the changeover I have had constant dropouts, sites freezing, email constantly failing and the "Bad Boy" router is probably the worst I have used.
There has been a catalogue of errors ever since signing up. Even the email address that I was given on registration did not work and after hours on the phone I was told it was my fault because I didn't complete the registration properly.
I have spent hours on the telephone to their very helpful but not too expert technical people. Eventually I could not go on, I was spending hours every day to try and keep the service running.
I decided to cancel the contract on the basis that it was not fit for purpose.
BT disagreed and urged me to keep trying to sort things out. No, my nerves could not take any more.
So for 9 appalling days with BT Broadband it is costing me OVER £300 to get out.
Absolute highway robbery, but worth it.
I'm told it will take up to 5 days to get a MAC code.
I had to tell them to send it to my domain email address because theirs does not work.
If anyone who reads this is thinking of transferring to BT Broadband. Think again!
ANYONE WANT A "BAD BOY" Home Hub 4?
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:28:18
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband NIGHTMARE

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

I'd love the homehub 4, but my HH3 is chugging along nicely...
I've been pleased overall with BT. Never had a reason to complain. I do prefer my sky line though...

It could be that your line developed a fault during the changeover period and it was all purely coincidence or just some BT specific equipment at fault.

I wouldn't be shocked if the fault followed you unless you go for LLU (still might follow you, just a tad less likely)

Really without seeing stats etc its hard to determine.

Just wondering. Are you in the master socket?
I would strongly strongly suggest you try the following
Plug the router into the test socket
This is behind the faceplate of the master socket
See here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=test+socket&ie=UTF...

Give it a go with just the router plugged in here via a filter.
Also to rule it out use a different filter

This MIGHT solve your issue & would indicate poor extension wiring.

BT might have used ADSL 2+ whereas IDNET may have used D.gmt (I can't tell as obviously you're no longer with them). Adsl 2+ picks up interference more. IDNETs setup was probably just masking the fault.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 25-Jul-13 12:29:11)

Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:36:22
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi,
When I changed over I just swapped my Netgear for the Homehub.
Nothing else changed.
I'm plugged into the master socket with no extensions.
I just use this line for broadband as the speed round here is so slow I didn't want anything else on it to slow it down.
I only get 4.34Mg download, so you can see if the slightest thing happens I get stuff all.
Used their supplied filter and switched back to mine. No change.
Just waiting for the MAC. Unsurprisingly I have had no confirmation from them.
I will probably have to do the cancellation several times if past experience is anything to go by.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:38:20
Print Post

You can just use the Netgear, no need for the Homehub. No need to cancel, no need to lose £300.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:38:43
Print Post

Used their supplied filter and switched back to mine. No change.
You swapped the filter back to yours? Or back to your filter and the Netgear?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 25-Jul-13 12:39:17)

Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:50:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Originally fitted their filter, then changed to mine, then back to theirs.
Fair suggestion to just change back to My Netgear router but I also have other issues with BT Broadband
They advertised BT SmartTalk, which I thought was a really good idea.
Unfortunately, as usual, BT misled me by default.
When I tried to download the app I discovered that THEY DON'T SUPPORT BLACKBERRY. Can you believe it? The essential phone for business and they don't support it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:55:34
Print Post

I can believe it, a quick google gave the answer months ago http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-SmartTalk/Will-The-BT-...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:55:53
Print Post

Just looked and it is fairly clear on the smart talk pages it is only available for android and the iPhone

So unless they told you for sure it would work on the Blackberry then little to do, if they did state it would work on a Blackberry then you have a get out of contract winner there.

On the broadband side, checking the connection data is worth doing, as since others have suggested entirely possible you have had an upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ and this can affect the stability of the broadband.

If the HomeHub is the issue, then http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Setting-... has a guide of what to do

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:56:51
Print Post

Fair suggestion to just change back to My Netgear router but I also have other issues with BT Broadband

Just give it a go. Might as well.

They advertised BT SmartTalk, which I thought was a really good idea.
Unfortunately, as usual, BT misled me by default.
When I tried to download the app I discovered that THEY DON'T SUPPORT BLACKBERRY. Can you believe it? The essential phone for business and they don't support it.

What business? Blackberry really isn't what it used to be. The app store is missing a large share of apps. I can completely believe it. Any business looking to provide a phone for it's users will be looking away from blackberry now.

This in itself is no reason to lose £300. I'm sure IDNET don't offer this service.

Try the netgear before jumping ship. You may have just got a faulty HomeHub.

The settings you need are here.
http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74...

If you have a DG834G router, this could be masking a line fault as these routers are good at holding onto extremely low SNRs, where most routers would just keep disconnecting.

If it still drops on the netgear it's possible you are on ADSL 2+ which is not so good at masking a bad line. I think on the netgear you can usually force it to D.GMT which might be better on your line.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 25-Jul-13 12:59:39)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:59:41
Print Post

In fact, I think all of your issues could be resolved if you posted in the correct place http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt.html

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to