General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Jul-13 21:14:48
Print Post

Speed above IP Profile

[link to this post]

Can anyone suggest (in the linked thread) how this poster is repeatedly getting BTW speed test downloads greater than his IP Profile, even with his McAfee disabled?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Sat 27-Jul-13 06:57:12
Print Post

Re: Speed above IP Profile

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's not even impossible, I was was able to when the DLM was configured wrong for my line.

Sync of 18999, IP profile of 18.42Mbps. Probably 2 out of 5 tests would be around 18.60Mbps down, no bRAS mismatch. Kevin from BT care or Ed from ELC didn't know why it was happening.

It doesn't have to be him, try restarting the PPPoE connection.

I'm with BT not plusnet though... though this shouldn't have no impact on this.

Edited by ryant704 (Sat 27-Jul-13 06:57:27)

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 27-Jul-13 08:42:46
Print Post

I wondered about this too. The really cool TBB speed test returns fairly steady 11Mbps, and yesterday 12Mbps, except during peak-time congestion when it sometimes falls to around 6Mbps. I quote stats just for interest, little idea what they all mean! I'm on BT and running KIS at all times.
Downstream 10,080 Kbps
Upstream 1,127 Kbps
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.0 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 33.8 dB / 16.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 15.7 dBm / 1.7 dBm

Edited by Malwaremike (Sat 27-Jul-13 08:44:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 27-Jul-13 09:44:44
Print Post

Pass. What does an actual data transfer rate look like ? Something where the timing accuracy isn't going to introduce a significant error like downloading 1 Gbyte against a stopwatch.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User GonePostal
(newbie) Sat 27-Jul-13 10:27:40
Print Post

I was getting the same sort of thing using speedtest.net (2Mb IP profile and recorded speeds above 2Mb). I raised this with their Tech Support and was pointed to this link.

In essence they break the speed test down into small chunks with a calculated speed for each chunk. They then use an algorithm to drop out the outlying chunks at the top and bottom of the speed range and average the rest. As they drop out 10% at the top end and 30% at the bottom end, it seems to me that this will have the effect of raising the average, perhaps to higher than the IP profile.

Maybe the BT test has the same sort of algorithm.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 27-Jul-13 10:35:49
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
As they drop out 10% at the top end and 30% at the bottom end, it seems to me that this will have the effect of raising the average, perhaps to higher than the IP profile.
How?
Are you saying some chunks are above the IP Profile?
Surely, that's the question.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Jul-13 10:51:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Using the btspeedtest diagnostics page, I too get reported speeds faster than my up/down profiles (but timing test file downloads doesn't reflect this) - even though I have been stuck on a 4mb cap for months:

http://linicks.net/stuff/btspeedtest.png

I really think it must be a glitch in the way the thing works.

Nick
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Jul-13 11:11:35
Print Post

What a pity everyone has replied here, rather than in the thread as requested, where the OP and future readers may have found it useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User GonePostal
(newbie) Sat 27-Jul-13 11:40:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In the link in my post speedtest.net state:

"Since we are measuring data transported over HTTP (via Flash), there are the following factors that can affect speed: potential protocol overhead, buffering due to the many layers between our application and the raw data transfer, and throughput bursting due primarily to CPU usage. These factors lead us to drop the top 10% and bottom 10% of our slices as outliers.

Additionally, we keep the default test length short for user experience. Because the test is shorter, the ramp-up period can take a significant part of the beginning of the test, leading us to drop another 20% of the bottom result slices."

I am not as technically expert as many users here but I take that to mean that things like buffering can actually make it seem as if some chunks are being transmitted at slower than the actual rate and some faster. This is presumably why they drop the outliers. If the local circumstances are such that there are still outliers beyond the IP profile even after application of the algorithm then I can see how the report could show a speed higher than the IP profile even though that is not what was actually achieved. If that is not the case, I will be quite happy to be corrected.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 27-Jul-13 11:56:26
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I can't see how taking an average of a set of results will give a figure higher than the peak result.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to