General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:27:10
Print Post

FTTC cabinet power

[link to this post]

I think I read somewhere that FTTC cabinets have their own UPS, does anyone know how long they can maintain power to the kit?

Reason- I've got a scheduled power outage in a few days while the leccie board upgrades the local substation. I was thinking that if I turn a few things off, and they don't take all day over it, my UPS might manage to run the modem for long enough thus avoiding any DLM shenanigans... but if the cabinet is likely to go down there's not much point!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:32:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC cabinet power

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I think I read somewhere that FTTC cabinets have their own UPS, does anyone know how long they can maintain power to the kit?

Reason- I've got a scheduled power outage in a few days while the leccie board upgrades the local substation. I was thinking that if I turn a few things off, and they don't take all day over it, my UPS might manage to run the modem for long enough thus avoiding any DLM shenanigans... but if the cabinet is likely to go down there's not much point!

Presumably that would also depend on how/where the Cabinets draw their primary power from!!

Presumably if it is ultimately fed from the Exchange (rather than a local Leccie-Board feed), the the UPS maybe just a "Brown-Out" protection with the bulk of the support coming from the Exchange!

(In other words, I haven't got a clue to your original question - just speculating that it may be configured differently! wink).

Regards,
John
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:41:44
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

The power is from the local power supply network.
The batteries should last a minimum of 4 hours but typically will last longer depending on the cabinet load, for example how many cards and connections there are.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:42:22
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:

Presumably that would also depend on how/where the Cabinets draw their primary power from!!

Presumably if it is ultimately fed from the Exchange (rather than a local Leccie-Board feed), the the UPS maybe just a "Brown-Out" protection with the bulk of the support coming from the Exchange!

(In other words, I haven't got a clue to your original question - just speculating that it may be configured differently! wink).

Cabinets pick up their power from any local buried 230v cable - it is just T'd in as any house, lamppost, bus stop, traffic lights &c. Running from an exchange would require totally separate ducts from the phone wires and fibre. The only possibility is if the cabinet is within yards of the exchange.

As for te longevity of the UPS - will certainly depend on the number of active circuits, also how much use they are making and the temperature that day - warm day, cooling fans run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:46:13
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
The batteries should last a minimum of 4 hours but typically will last longer depending on the cabinet load
That's longer than my UPS is likely to manage so I can leave that out of consideration, thanks.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:53:38
Print Post

Why would there be any DLM shennanigans for a one-off lengthy disconnection?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 31-Jul-13 13:01:42
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

There shouldn't, but I don't know what might happen if the cabinet also went down, then both came back up (ie rebooted) simultaneously. Also, my modem is one of the very early ones which didn't get swapped out for some reason- I prefer to avoid power cycling it unnecessarily.

What I end up doing depends whether I feel like chancing it, which will probably depend on which side of the bed I get out of on the relevant morning tongue

Bill

Edited by billford (Wed 31-Jul-13 13:03:53)

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 31-Jul-13 13:08:10
Print Post

It is 6 hours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53NcsctuxV0

Edited by systemx (Wed 31-Jul-13 13:13:43)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 31-Jul-13 13:23:01
Print Post

sounds like an ideal time to get some stats as to how much crosstalk affects your line.

if you have an unlocked modem then just seeing the change in max attainable rate would be a good indicator.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 31-Jul-13 13:30:52
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I haven't unlocked it- I'm about 450 metres from the cabinet with a profile of 69 point odd Mbps, so I'm not too bothered smile

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to