General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User whitcop
(newbie) Mon 05-Aug-13 13:23:45
Print Post

Static Address and possible speed

[link to this post]

Iím currently with O2 and pay for a static IP address as I run a server as well as our PCs. Iím supposed to be migrated to the Sky platform at some time in the near future but Iíve been told that they donít do Static IPs. This week part of our town has started excepting order for fibre and my cab (PCP) is due to be completed by October. I was wondering if I switched to fibre do most of the ISPs offer a static address? I live about 200m from the cab and local Openreach people have said that we have quite a bit of aluminium cable in the ground so any idea what sort of speeds I should get over fibre?

Many thanks

Phil
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Aug-13 13:28:04
Print Post

Re: Static Address and possible speed

[re: whitcop] [link to this post]

Most ISPs don't do static. Somewhere on here was the same question last week (can't remember which forum it was, probably which residential ISP).

Upshot was that Plusnet do them for a one off payment of £5. I think Vivaciti said they do as well. Barring Plusnet it is mostly either smaller ISPs that do static, large ISPs often only have static on business products.

EDIT : Memory was not failing me, it is the top article at the moment in Which ISP (Residential) - thread is here

Edited by ian72 (Mon 05-Aug-13 13:28:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Aug-13 14:07:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The vivaciti one is standard. I have a feeling it will be on Freeola as well. It looks like ADSL24 have it as standard as too. PlusNet, as you say, is a £5 one-off charge, but only available on the two "unlimited" packages I think. Not Essentials.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Aug-13 14:25:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, my post wasn't clear. When I said Vivaciti "do as well" - I meant provide Static rather than charge for it - poor wording on my part...

EDIT : Obviously when I say "poor wording" I mean "poor phrasing". Wow, I seem to be having a bad day getting my, uuhh, whatsit, er, yes - words out.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 05-Aug-13 14:26:27)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 05-Aug-13 15:15:49
Print Post

[re: whitcop] [link to this post]

TalkTalk also offer a static ip address option free of charge...however its not something they advertise, you have to beg and plead with a TalkTalk OCE (via their forums) to get one.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
  Print Thread

Jump to