General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aneng
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 00:03:55
Print Post

My exchange is going ADSL2+ .....will I benefit ?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just discovered from the Samknows site that my exhange is getting ADSL2+ at the end of the month. I'm currently with EE (Orange) and get about 6Mbps from my ancient Inventel Livebox.

Does anyone know whether I am likely to suddenly get faster speeds once my exchange upgrades, or will I need a different router / have to pay EE more money (!). The Samknows site reckons my line will support "17Mbps or greater".

I'd love a faster connection. 6Mbps is usually fine but lately it's felt more like 512kbps !

Many thanks !
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Aug-13 03:38:59
Print Post

Re: My exchange is going ADSL2+ .....will I benefit ?

[re: aneng] [link to this post]

Depends on how long your line is from exchange. Post your current router stats and we will be able to tell.
In reply to a post by aneng:
The Samknows site reckons my line will support "17Mbps or greater".
Better to look here:BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-13 06:40:47
Print Post

you're likely to benefit at 6M. ADSL2+ is worth about 0.3 - 0.5M to most lines but more (a lot more) to the shorter ones.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aneng
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 09:46:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

My current router sync's at 8192Kbps and I'm quite near to the exchange. The BT availability checker said my line could get up to 17Mbps with a line range of 10 to 19.5.

My question wasn't really about whether my line would be able to support the higher rate but more to do with whether Orange will just give me the faster speed for free once my exchange adds the new ADSL2 kit at the end of the month, and either way, whether my ageing Inventel livebox will work with ADSL2.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-13 09:56:36
Print Post

What's your current downstream attenuation (db)? Take this value add 3 db to it (atten on ADSL2+ lines usually increase by a few db) and then pop it here and that should give you a good indication.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-13 10:05:49
Print Post

21CN (ADSL2+) services are cheaper to provide so they are likely to migrate you, even if they retain an arbitrary 8M cap - you might do better asking in their section of the forum what has happened to others.

Some ISPs migrate customers automatically to ADSL2+ services, others do so if you recontract, etc.

I believe the livebox is ADSL2+ compatible (mainly from French data) but they're likely to send you a new one if you recontract or opt-in to an upgrade.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Aug-13 21:46:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by aneng:
more to do with whether Orange will just give me the faster speed for free once my exchange adds the new ADSL2 kit at the end of the month
What exchange? Whether Orenge do it auto or require you to take a new contract could depend on whether you are in Orange's historic 'network area'. I have a list of these.

You can also find out from your Orange online a/c, https://membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/, 'Change my Package' when ADSL2+ becomes enabled at your exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:17:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Samknows said that our exchange would be upgraded to 21CN on 29th May 2013.

IT NEVER HAPPENED !

It disapeared from Samknows, and I can't get an answer from BT as to what happened or if anything may happen.....
Shambles !
Regards,
Martin
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:39:36
Print Post

Re: My exchange is going ADSL2+ .....will I benefit ? *DELETED*

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 23:11:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It's not meant to be a reply to your Q !
I merely clicked REPLY to last post, AFAIK one has to click 'a reply' to comment.....
Martin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to