General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 21:32:00
Print Post

No Infinity for me

[link to this post]

Must have been asleep for the past few months. Didn't even notice all the FTTC boxes springing up all over the place. But guess what? It just my typical luck the PCP box that probably serves me at the end of our road hasn't been upgraded, and as I drive around it looks like it's one of the very few frown I have checked on the checkers and no FTTC available.

So I am left wondering if there are any plans to upgrade it? Does even BT know if there are any plans to upgrade the uneconomical boxes? I say its economical because I am guessing it doesn't serve many compared to other streets.

I feel a bit peeved from lack of information about anything.

In the old days I could campaign for my exchange to be enabled for ADSL. But now what? if only 10 people down my road want faster BB, they aren't likely to activate it on the strength of that.

At the moment it's a case of "You can't have it, we will let you know when you can."
I just wish there was more transparency about future plans/technology of what can be done, or is thinking about being done. At least then if I was told you will never have it or you will get it by 2020, that way I could at least plan to move house, think about mobile BB or something....

Rant over smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Aug-13 21:51:18
Print Post

Re: No Infinity for me

[re: zarkrax] [link to this post]

Try BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:03:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks XraySpeX no mention of FTTC on the available products list. frown

But at least I know its the right cabinet now!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:25:40
Print Post

It may be done under the BDUK programme in your area. Try your local council or county council they should be able to give you some info. If the exchange is enabled there is a fair chance the cabinet will be included in the BDUK program
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-13 23:06:46
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob_s2 I realised from reading your post I may have jumped the gun a bit.

The exchange RFS date is not until September, but if I put a phone number of someone I know who lives near the FTTC cabinet there is a mention of it and the likely download speed.

So I have assumed that no more PCP's will be upgraded before the RFS date. Would it be better to wait before contacting the council until after the exchange goes live?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 09:00:46
Print Post

Ask Openreach 1st by emailing nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk. If they say its not in the commercial program then try your local council if its in the BDUK program
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Thu 08-Aug-13 21:24:33
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble did as you suggested, they have replied back with too few premises connected to it. I did the rather sad and unscientific thing of counting the wires on the telegraph pole! I reckon there are between 100 and 150 depending if another cabinet is involved. The annoying thing a business premises about 200yds away is on a different cabinet which can get FTTC.

Anyway BT open reach sent me a link to the BDUK company in my area, so I am waiting to here back from them now. But BT seemed to think they were still at planning stage.
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:17:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by zarkrax:
The annoying thing a business premises about 200yds away is on a different cabinet which can get FTTC.

Buy a long Cat5 cable wink
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:19:39
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MattJessop:
In reply to a post by zarkrax:
The annoying thing a business premises about 200yds away is on a different cabinet which can get FTTC.

Buy a long Cat5 cable wink

LOL Yeah then cable tie to the existing phone lines back to my house laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to